First time wet curing pork belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigolebillsbbq

Original poster
Jan 11, 2022
Hey everyone,

I’m not sure if there is already a post out there, but I was wondering if anyone can help me out here.

I currently have a slap of pork belly about an inch and a half thick weighing 8.48 pounds.

I have pink curing salt (Hoosier Hill Farm Prague powder #1).

My concern is that on the bottle of the curing salt it says 1 oz per 25 pounds of meat. But most other places are saying 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds.

I wasn’t sure if anyone would
Be able to help me out with a recipe for how to wet cure this pork belly with just salt, curing salt and water.

If someone can help, I would really appreciate it! I’m new to this and would love to learn!

thanks!
Bill

Both amounts are correct. 1 ounce of curing salt is about 5 tsps. so 1 tsp. per 5 pounds is 5 tsps. per 25#...

with a wet cure, you need to weight the water for the brine and add it to the weight of the meat-that is the weight you use to calculate how much cure you need. This will be an equilibium cure so some of the cure will stay in the water, the rest will migrate into the meat and both will equalize concentrations.

Reactions: bigolebillsbbq
okay okay that makes way more sense now!

So is there a rough number for how much water people usually use? Or is it just up to me?

Like if I used 1.5 gallons (12 pounds - 8 pounds per gallon) then I would add the 12 pounds to my 8.48 pounds of meat, equalling 20.48 pounds so like 4 tsps of pink cure #1?

Thanks for your reply! It’s very helpful!

Both amounts are correct. 1 ounce of curing salt is about 5 tsps. so 1 tsp. per 5 pounds is 5 tsps. per 25#...

with a wet cure, you need to weight the water for the brine and add it to the weight of the meat-that is the weight you use to calculate how much cure you need. This will be an equilibium cure so some of the cure will stay in the water, the rest will migrate into the meat and both will equalize concentrations.

okay okay that makes way more sense now!

So is there a rough number for how much water people usually use? Or is it just up to me?

Like if I used 1.5 gallons (12 pounds - 8 pounds per gallon) then I would add the 12 pounds to my 8.48 pounds of meat, equalling 20.48 pounds so like 4 tsps of pink cure #1?

Thanks for your reply! It’s very helpful!

For combined weight of meat and water:
.25% cure#1
1.5% salt
I suggest .75% sugar of choice
Also suggest you weigh everything in grams. It makes the calculations a hundred times easier.

That or go with Pop's brine:

1 gallon of water =8.345#......
Ok, so I would change my weight up still, but again, is there a specific amount of water needed based on w
You will get a lot of different advice on the amount of water to use. I try not to go less than 50% of the meat weight.
hmmm okay! Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!! I’m going to try this out soon!

You can take a look at Pops brine for curing bacon..I like to use this one. Its pretty simple method. I've modified it a bit to suit my tastes...reduced salt.

RG

Pops6927's Wet Curing Brine

Reactions: bigolebillsbbq
For combined weight of meat and water:
.25% cure#1
1.5% salt
I suggest .75% sugar of choice
Also suggest you weigh everything in grams. It makes the calculations a hundred times easier.

That or go with Pop's brine:
Okay I’m just trying to calculate this now. If my total weight is 20.997 pounds, my cure #1 would be equal to 5.24…but I’m not sure if that means it’s 5.25 tsps or table spoons or what.. and then for regular salt my number is 31.4955…again not sure what the measurement would be

I appreciate your help!

You can take a look at Pops brine for curing bacon..I like to use this one. Its pretty simple method. I've modified it a bit to suit my tastes...reduced salt.

RG

Pops6927's Wet Curing Brine
Thanks! I’ll check it out for sure! Might make it easier!

Okay I’m just trying to calculate this now. If my total weight is 20.997 pounds, my cure #1 would be equal to 5.24…but I’m not sure if that means it’s 5.25 tsps or table spoons or what.. and then for regular salt my number is 31.4955…again not sure what the measurement would be

I appreciate your help!
It's going to be way easier to calculate if you use grams.
Example, for every 1000 grams you use 2.5 grams of cure

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky