First Time UDS Build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steven carr

Original poster
Dec 26, 2013
Cobleskill NY
Hello all!! This is going to be my first UDS build. "Winter Project". Anyway my friend gave me a 55Gallon barrel he told me it comes shipped with a Plastic Bag filled with steel Wherl weights. Here is my question. The barrel is very clean on the inside. I see a lot of people saying stuff about colored Liners? I'm in a place that I really can just set it outside on fire to do a burn. Would it be safe to just take a drill and wire wheel or some kinda attachment to grind the inside to bare metal. And what about the outside? Do I really need to grind sand the outside paint. As I would just be repainting it anyway. Will the factory paint on outside hurt my food? Any suggest or help would be great. I can post a picture of barrel tomorrow if anyone would want to see it.

That drum liner I believe is bullet proof. You can try a wire wheel. I hope you have a long time. The quickest way is a hot burn. It took me two hot burns using oak pallets to get mine clean. If you can take it somewhere to do a burn it will save tons of time. A good suggestion I got was to drill your intake holes in the lower section to help the fire burn hotter. You will love your uds. I love mine. It was cheep and you can put out some wonderful food.
Jason

Reactions: Phil Chart
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky