first time turkey cut up and on the smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokemom

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2006
california
I soaked the turkey in brine of salt, garlic and onion powder, pepper and threw in some home grown rosemary sprigs and a basil leaf... smelled great this morning! I covered each piece with a bacon strip as was suggested somewhere on the forum. it has only been on for a few hours.

My smoker is an old weber barbeque that i put an electric hotplate on the bottom and put soaked wood chips on a pie tin....

i have it on higher than i did for the pulled pork... does that sound right? the wood chips get used up alot faster... should i lower the hot plate to medium high?

so far i have smoked salmon and that turned out great and the pulled pork was a big success with the in-laws!

I have never used a set-up like the one you are using, but to me it seems, things are doing fine. I only cook poultry at a higher temp to get the skin to crisp up. If possible please post some pics, I think it an interesting way to go about getting your smoke fix taken care of.

thanks!

i dont have the technology to send you a picture, but i just took a peek and it looks great!

do you ever wrap it up in tin foil to keep it moist? is there something i should be mopping it with?

I don't usually wrap my birds, but then again, they are the most difficult thing for me to cook. I can do brisket, no problem, Pork Butt with my eyes closed, and I have to try and mess up on ribs, but the BIRD and I fight almost everytime on the grates.

I am in the habit of spraying everything I smoke about once an hour, but that gives me an excuse to not go do a honey do while BBQing

yo smokemom,
i luv your smoker.
i like people who adapt things to work again.

temperature control is the key to all
forms of cooking.

in my case i have a couple of thermometers
on each cook.
1 digital---1 old style analog round face.

air flow or circulation helps control chip burn.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky