First Time Surf, Many a Time Turf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

D.W.

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
We had a birthday in the family yesterday and since a our state dictator closed the restaurants again on Wednesday in our county, we had to cancel our dinner reservations. No problem, went over to Costco and they had some fresh lobster tails and prime ribeye cap. I've never cooked lobster tail in my life, looked on here and saw some threads with how to from SmokinAl SmokinAl and a few others - thanks all!

Did a baste of melted butter, lemon juice, chopped garlic, fresh chopped italian parsley, and cayenne pepper. Drizzled off the brush every two minutes so it wouldn't touch the tail, that way we could use the leftovers for dipping.

Sprinkled the tails with kosher salt, coarse pepper, and smoked paprika. Garnished with it. parsley.

Tried to pull off at IT 140, but a couple got to 145 - 149. That being said, none of them were rubbery. Everyone loved it, so for a first go it was a success. I'll recommend this over going out for all future bday's :emoji_wink: Sorry no plated pictures, but had scalloped potatoes and ceasar salad with it. Apple crumble and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

20200703_173734.jpg

20200703_173744.jpg

20200703_175314.jpg

Those tails look killer! I did some sous vide the other day for my girlfriends Birthday.

Reactions: D.W.
Man that sure looks good! Something ive never tried to cook. I guess I need to give it a shot! BIG LIKE from me!

Looks great. Desert sounds great too

Looks excellent! Lobster Tails are my all time favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Looks great! I’m guessing you’re in FL. Are those spiny lobsters?
I don't think they were, honestly an oversight on my part. Got them at costco here in the Peoples Republic of California. I think they were from the southern coast here. Tasted good though, and a good price.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Wow! Really nice. I don't valve a Costco within 3 hours of my house. And the locals wouldn't even know what a Ribeye Cap is. Great job...JJ

How do you like the ribeye cap pinwheels? I was thinking about picking some up. Are they really that good?

How do you like the ribeye cap pinwheels? I was thinking about picking some up. Are they really that good?

I like them and think they are worth the price (my absolute favorite cut), but I typically untie them to cook. This was the first time leaving them tied up. Still really good, but didn't quite get the cook how I like it, so I'll be untying going forward.

I like them and think they are worth the price (my absolute favorite cut), but I typically untie them to cook. This was the first time leaving them tied up. Still really good, but didn't quite get the cook how I like it, so I'll be untying going forward.
I was wondering about leaving together or not. Untied you will get more char. The cap is the best.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky