First time stuffing sausage (into casings that is)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floridasteve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 16, 2014
Bradenton
I finally got a chance to try out the LEM stuffer I got from @nepas last month. We made some bratwurst and Italian sausage. The first attempt was tough — mainly in loading the hog casings and having problems with blowout. But after watching a couple youtube videos, the rest went fine!

My questing I have now missed how long sgould they sit in the fridg before I can cut the twisted links apart?

I would let sit in overnight,,, I did some cold smoked,,, smoked in fridge overnight then cut next day.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I cut mine right away well every fourth one anyway as I package 4 links per package. I don't have any trouble with them coming loose. I leave the other twists alone unit I thaw and cook. If I smoke the sausage I leave the linked strands as long as I can and get them in my smoker, if I have to cut a strand I do tie off each side of the twist with butcher string so nothing comes loose while smoking.

FS, I always flush the casing out by holding it up to the tap and letting water slowly run through the casing. Let the excess water run out but put the very wet casing on the horn and it slides right on.I agree with the twist and sit overnight method.

Running the meat to the end of the stuffing tube , then put casing on helps also . I also started storing the casings wet . Made a big difference .

Yea in the fridge overnight, then vac pack.
I always put the sausage in the vac bags & put them in the freezer before sealing them up.
This way the sausage freezes & won't smash down when you vac pack them.
Al

Sometimes I like my sausages to be straight like hot dogs or kielbasa, so I cut and bend them into individual links right away. Everyone else is right though, it's easier, and better looking when you stick them in the fridge over night.

Overnight in the fridge works for fresh, like others have said.
Basically, what you want is for the casing to dry enough to hold the twist....
Welcome to sausage making, Steve!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky