First Time Smoking! w/ QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skdvr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
St Louis, MO
OK, so I am new to the Forum and new to Smoking.  A few weeks ago I bought a MES 40 and got in here reading LOTS of GREAT info.  Overwhelming actually, so much info that I was having a hard time remembering what was what.  These past couple of weeks have been killing me, because I wanted to get out there and fire it up and start really loving my new smoker.  Well between work and regular life stuff I just did not have time, but I am off work this weekend so here we go.

I did not reinvent the wheel or anything here, just smoked two very basic dishes.  A Fatty and some Chicken.  I have lots of pics of preparing the fatty mainly to show other friends and family who had never heard of one before (just like me until I started reading the forum).  So I am going to post them all and maybe it will help someone else out who is going to do this for the first time to understand that it is not tough at all and makes a very tasty treat.  So on with the pics.

Started with the bacon weave.  I bought thick bacon from my grocery store butcher.  I actually really like this bacon and it worked well for this.  I really thought that this was going to be tough to do, but it only took me a few min to finish and I thought that it turned out great.

e2e3945d_IMG_041550.jpg

Went with Jimmy Dean HOT

6f104f45_IMG_041650.jpg

Rolled it out in a ziplock bag.

72dfc54a_IMG_041750.jpg

Then fried up a few pieces for the middle of the fatty.  I did not want to use a lot for my first one, I thought that it would be rich enough.

9956d9c0_IMG_041850.jpg

Then sliced up some pepperjack and layed it in the middle of the sausage.

7b7d471f_IMG_041950.jpg

Then the fried bacon.

18976a37_IMG_042050.jpg

Rolled it up.

20d5332d_IMG_042250.jpg

Grabbed the bacon weave and sprinkled a bit of a rub on it.

dda5e452_IMG_042350.jpg

Then rolled it up.

e3a30423_IMG_042450.jpg

Wrapped it up to put in the fridge for the night.

d54a08db_IMG_042550.jpg

The next afternoon fired up the smoker and in she goes.  I also did a whole chicken, that I split in half.  Nothing to fancy, I just melted some butter and mixed it with some rub, then injected it under the skin.  Then rubbed some of that on top of the skin.

ed2e6345_IMG_042750.jpg

After about 2 hours at 275 here she is.

583d8f5e_IMG_042850.jpg

8313d87c_IMG_043050.jpg

Chicken was done about 30 min later.

c49ced12_IMG_043350.jpg

All in all, I AM IN LOVE with this new machine.  It was in the low 30's and quite windy yesterday while I was doing this and I thought that the smoker did a good job keeping up.  Today I am trying some baby backs, so I hope that those turn out as nice as the Chicken and Fatty yesterday.

Thanks again for all the help from everyone on this forum.  Made my first experience much less stressful.

Phil

Last edited:
OK, well I may need some help here.  Not sure why my photo's are not showing up...

Thanks

Phil

If it was me, I would forget about photobucket, and just go right with the forum downloading in the reply box.

Click on the one that says "Insert Image" when you put your cursor over it.

Bear

Thanks Bear.

Got the pics in there now.

The wife and I just fried up a couple of eggs and had a great breakfast sandwich!

Phil

Great stuff !

You're really making some good food!!!

The wife must be real happy with your accomplishments!

Bear

Welcome aboard and great first smoke! That MES sure is nice and clean! I love cooking ribs in my MES. They are yummy.

Dale that's his MES glass door, clean ain't it?

icon_cool.gif

Well first off welcome Phil to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking meat and other things. it looks like you are well on your way to enjoying  some fine smoking goodies too. So go grab some more and meat and gett smoking and don't forget the Q-view as you already have figured that one out.

So Welcome To Your New Addiction.

Congrats on a great first smoke and thanks for sharing the Qview!  That fattie looks real good and the coloring on that yard bird is great!! 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to SMF and what a great way to start up that new MES. The food looks like it turned out great. I bet that breakfast sammie was awesome.

You are going to hear this a lot from a bunch of us but to take it to the next level get yourseld an AMNS and use it in that MES instead of chunks. You will get TBS for a good 8 hours and there is a whole range of sawdust flavors to choose from.

Thanks everyone, I LOVE this thing...  This site has been a great addition to my online habit, so much great info in here.

Smoked some baby backs yesterday too and they turned out great.

Phil

how did you like the HOT sausage? I was tempted to grab it but I was feeding a good number of folks and I seem to have the hottest tongue out of all my friends.

how did you like the HOT sausage? I was tempted to grab it but I was feeding a good number of folks and I seem to have the hottest tongue out of all my friends.
Sorry, I had been out of town...

I loved the Hot Sausage.  I thought that it had great flavor.  I thought that maybe it would be to spicy for breakfast with the peperjack in the middle, but really it was not REAL spicy.  Didn't make me sweat anyway...

Phil

Great first smoke!  The fatty is one of my favorite things to do.  Have fun and experiment with it.  Worse thing that happens is you eat your mistakes!  LOL 

Fatties...ahhhh! The only problem is what do I roll this time...breakfast, pizza, scotch eggs....wait a minute...I have an idea!

Well done friend.  Just remember to keep that window clean so we can see those great shots though the glass.

BTW left over yard bird makes great enchiladas or tacos.

Welcome to the family.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky