• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time Smoking Salmon

SmokeyLee15

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 13, 2021
Did a 3/1 brown sugar, salt brine for about 7 hours. Rinsed and air dried for about 2 hours smoked until IT was 145. The bigger prices turned out great! Smaller pieces were a little dry. I love salmon so this was a great smoke, I’ll play with brines in the future and will probably pull at IT of 140.

Attachments

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
Looks fantastic. Your recipe is very similar to mine. Yes, pull at 135ish. Try 4/1 ratio. Good job!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I don’t brine mine, I just coat them with EVOO & Cajun seasoning. Smoke until they flake apart. Usually about 45 minutes at 225. I usually use mesquite, cause it’s such a short cook. We also do the same prep & cook on the kettle over charcoal & mesquite chunks. Only takes about 5-10 minutes. Just don’t overcook it or you will have salmon jerky.
Al

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Did a 3/1 brown sugar, salt brine for about 7 hours. Rinsed and air dried for about 2 hours smoked until IT was 145. The bigger prices turned out great! Smaller pieces were a little dry. I love salmon so this was a great smoke, I’ll play with brines in the future and will probably pull at IT of 140.
You did everything right, now it's time to fine tune your technique. I'm okay with 145° on the thicker pieces, but I pull the tail pieces sooner (and I cure the tail pieces with less time). I know it's hard to resist, but if you let your finished salmon cool on the counter, then refrigerate overnight the fillets will always be moister and the surface will soften and make slicing without tearing easy. I also give the finished fillets a very light spray of olive oil when they are still warm..., this helps with eye appeal and moistness.

The two-hour drying time is probably the minimum, I like 12 hours on a rack in the fridge. If you buy skin-on fillets, they stay moister because of the fat on the skin. Also for a moister product, an internal in the 138-140° will do that. I kind of watch for the albumen, if you see a trace of that it's time to really watch the temp. For reference, here is a close-up of some skin-on salmon I smoked to maybe 142°, and it has chilled out before slicing.
8EpH3xW.jpg

I just smoked this last week, if you look close on the far right piece, the albumen has just barely risen to the surface. My hot smoke time is about 4 hours.
T49Domd.jpg

Wurstmeister

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 21, 2018
EVOO with a rub, then smoke with beech or alder @165F until IT ~135/140F, cover with foil, serve . I use a Lahr-Jensen Little Chief I “stole” from a hardware store of $35,, Didn’t have a box!? it’s great for “warm smoke” : fish and small items incl vegetables, nuts, cold smoke cheese, etc.. The burner plate temp runs ~165F

Attachments

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
EVOO with a rub, then smoke with beech or alder @165F until IT ~135/140F, cover with foil, serve . I use a Lahr-Jensen Little Chief I “stole” from a hardware store of $35,, Didn’t have a box!? it’s great for “warm smoke” : fish and small items incl vegetables, nuts, cold smoke cheese, etc.. The burner plate temp runs ~165F
I have both a Little and Big Chief. They are my go-to smoker for trout, steelhead and salmon. In addition to the flavor smoked things you mentioned, I use it to double smoke ham hocks and shanks, and sometimes I'll add some flavor smoke to store bought bacon. If it's a hot summer day, in direct sunlight I can pull a 180°, but you're right 160° is average.
UMIPzcB.jpg

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.