First time smoking a turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fished

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Cedar Park, Texas. 78613
Hello everyone.  I'm smoking a turkey for my people at work.  This will be the first time I've smoked a turkey.  I have it in brine now.

Here's the brine I'm using:

4 gallons of water

2 cups of kosher salt

2 cups of brown sugar

2 TBS of garlic powder

2 TBS of onion powder

about 3 TBS of whole pepper corns

1 TBS of cyanene pepper

1/2 cup of soy sauce

1/2 cup of worcestershire sauce

I've read some post on here that say to smoke until a internal temp of 165.  I thought it had to be cooked to 180 to be safe.  Is the 165 with the probe in the breast or thigh?

I have a 19lb bird.  My plan was to smoke at 225 until temperature of about 155 then kick the heat up to around 325 to try and get the skin crisp.

Any input would be appreciated.

Yes, probe the Breast and about 165*F in the Thighs , spatching would be an easier way , but  it's your Bird and your choice.

However you plan to do it, send some Q-view of the finished product.

Have fun and as always ,

Here's my first smoked turkey.  I used maple pellets.  The bird was brined, the top rubbed with olive oil and some kicken chicken was sprinkled on.  I had the probe in the breast.  Smoked until 165 temp.  I have it wrapped in foil and covered with a towel.  Once it cools I'll slice it and take it to work tomorrow.  Sorry for the little picture of me there.  I have to figure out how to turn that off when using my phone for pictures.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky