First time smoking a pork roast for pulled pork....need help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cklein

Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I am going to smoke a pork roast tomorrow for pulled pork.  I have a 5 pd pork butt roast.  I've already put a rub on and have it in the fridge until tomorrow morning.  Not sure what temp to smoke at and for how long.  Also at what point do you foil at??  Thanks for any suggestions.

Don't know what kind of smoker you have ,but try to smoke around 230 -240 deg to an internal temp of 165 deg.

wrap w/ some apple juice in heavy foil  and place back in smoker. cook to 200 or so. place the foil wrapped butt on a small blanket or a couple of towels and wrap it up and place in a ice chest for an hour or two.

remove from chest and unwrap (it will still be HOT!)

the butt is now ready to pull.

I really can't tell you how long as each butt is different. that is why we smoke to temps. and not time.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

If you do what Bob (eman) said then you will have some mighty fine tasting pulled pork. Then you will be the pride of the block that is if you share any. This is the first one you shouldn't share this one.

CK, What I would do is not wrap in foil so you can get the full bark effect, if you like bark. I would try 2 of them each way and sea which 1 u desire most.

It does help to let us know what type of smoker u have. 

Thanks for the replies.  I have a Bradley Original Electric smoker.  I did what eman said to do......and it smells great.  Won't know how it tastes for a few more hours since I just put it in the ice chest.  It took 6 1/2 hours in the smoker but the internal temp was up to 202 deg.  

Thanks again for the advice.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky