First time smoking a fatty.. Well first time for this type.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

secgeek

Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
I have been smoking for a while and this season finally decided to get serious about it. I have had crappy ofset smokers, a small brinkman smoke n' grill and finally broke down and down and bought a 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain cooker... I got it earlier this week and have been reading every site I could find about different techniques, and on one of my searches led to this site. I have never heard of a fattie before and figured it might be interesting....

I am not a fan of Jimmy Dean sausage so decided to use Ground Beef and pork for my fatties. Please excuse the pictures as some were taken with my cell phone and some I finally dragged my ass out to the car to get our small P&S.. Maybe next time I'll set up the lights and do a real shoot.

All 3 were smoked at about 240 for 3 1/2 hours until internal temp was 160. Unfortunately I overloaded the spinach one, however that one seemed to disappear quickly. Thank you all again for the inspiration I found here...

1. Bacon Jalapeno Cheese burger

The meat was a 50/50 mixture of ground sirloin and ground chuck with Cumin, Salt, Pepper, Rosemary, Sage, Onion Powder, Chili pepper and a little worcestershire sauce 

Filling consisted of 1 Package applewood Bacon cooked to a crisp, then thrown into a food processor with 1/2 brick sharp cheddar, 1/2 a brick Pepper Jack, 1/2 cup Cream Cheese and 1 full jalapeno with seeds removed

The Exterior was rubbed in the same mixture that was mixed into the meat with a package of Applewood bacon for the wrapping

2. Beef with slow cooked curry spinach with Goat Cheese

The meat was a 50/50 mixture of ground sirloin and ground chuck with Salt, Pepper, Sage, Garlic Powder, Thyme, Oregano and Basil

Filling consisted of 2 Packages of Frozen Chopped spinach that was sauteed in pan that had 2 sticks of butter, 1/2 cup corn oil, curry powder, coriander, cumin, chili pepper. The spinach was sauteed for about 2 1/2 hours over low heat and then cubes of the goat cheese were added and cooked for another 1/2 hour.

The Exterior was also rubbed in the same mixture as used in the meat

3. Italian Stallion (Might of been my favorite)

The meat was ground pork mixed with 1 package dry italian dressing mix, salt, rosemary, sage, garlic powder, onion powder and Oregano

Filling consisted a layer of olives/feta that were ran through a food processor with a little bit of oil (my tapenade mixture). Then I added 3 slices of mortadella, 3 slices of Italian salami, 3 slices of capicola.  One layer of Provolone Cheese, another layer of Mortadella, salami and capicola. 

The Exterior was then rubbed in the same mixture minus the italian dressing then wrapped in Pancetta

Before

b49f41b6_4984742818_8193789f70.jpg

c81a2ac4_4984743768_c39066e45d.jpg

After

d2a8e43b_4984146361_161a257858.jpg

97391f29_4984781645_18a1dbffe1.jpg
f33c5100_4984783171_2b72396486.jpg
a251dedb_4984785183_ba7bf75fe5.jpg

86d17b06_4984786789_97e9202bee.jpg

Obviously I wasn't crazy about my exploded spinach.....

15cb8525_4984756260_929060693b.jpg

I am not a fan of Jimmy Dean sausage so decided to use Ground Beef and pork for my fatties. Please excuse the pictures as some were taken with my cell phone and some I finally dragged my ass out to the car to get our small P&S.. Maybe next time I'll set up the lights and do a real shoot.

The meat was a 50/50 mixture of ground sirloin and ground chuck with Cumin, Salt, Pepper, Rosemary, Sage, Onion Powder, Chili pepper and a little worcestershire sauce 

Filling consisted of 1 Package applewood Bacon cooked to a crisp, then thrown into a food processor with 1/2 brick sharp cheddar, 1/2 a brick Pepper Jack, 1/2 cup Cream Cheese and 1 full jalapeno with seeds removed

The Exterior was rubbed in the same mixture that was mixed into the meat with a package of Applewood bacon for the wrapping.

The meat was a 50/50 mixture of ground sirloin and ground chuck with Salt, Pepper, Sage, Garlic Powder, Thyme, Oregano and Basil

Filling consisted of 2 Packages of Frozen Chopped spinach that was sauteed in pan that had 2 sticks of butter, 1/2 cup corn oil, curry powder, coriander, cumin, chili pepper. The spinach was sauteed for about 2 1/2 hours over low heat and then cubes of the goat cheese were added and cooked for another 1/2 hour.

The meat was ground pork mixed with 1 package dry italian dressing mix, salt, rosemary, sage, garlic powder, onion powder and Oregano

Filling consisted a layer of olives/feta that were ran through a food processor with a little bit of oil (my tapenade mixture). Then I added 3 slices of mortadella, 3 slices of Italian salami, 3 slices of capicola.  One layer of Provolone Cheese, another layer of Mortadella, salami and capicola. 

The Exterior was then rubbed in the same mixture minus the italian dressing then wrapped in Pancetta

The Exterior was rubbed in the same mixture that was mixed into the meat with a package of Applewood bacon for the wrapping.

First off welcome to the SMF. You sure got a great start with us posting some great qview.  Glad to have you here

Wow those are some ginormous fatties! I notice the therm mounted in the main cylinder of your WSM. Did they change where they place those now or did you add that yourself? Mine is in the top cover but I like the idea of it being closer to the cooking grates.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky