First Time Smoker Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Matt H.

Original poster
Dec 13, 2017
So this is the first time I am building a smoker, and after a lot of thought and research I finally decided on a wooden smokehouse attached to a trailer seems a bit unique and it should fit my needs well. Will post pictures as I go but also looking for recommendations and thoughts. Mostly on the piping into the smoker. All wood is hemlock. the smokehouse will measure 42" long x 60" high x 24" Deep with a 2'x 2' x 2' homemade firebox.

I like watching new ideas come together....

popcorn 3.gif

You will probably need some way to regulate the temps... Here are several ideas for dumping heat and adding cool air...

Also looking for thoughts on the best way to build a decently sealing door for the smoker house. I'm thinking one on top and one on bottom to reduce heat loss by the drip pan during checks but still give me access to the meat on top

You will probably need some way to regulate the temps... Here are several ideas for dumping heat and adding cool air...

I was thinking having the box sealed pretty tightly with an exhaust damper on top the box to regulate temps would work. Thoughts?

You want really good air flow through a smoker.. With that air flow you will need temp control... The exhausts on your smoker body should be on the side walls near the roof.. Forced air furnace floor registers work good.. same on the bottom of the side walls.. or screened openings with slide dampers made from wood..
Will you have the smoker body ABOVE the firebox ?? How will it be set up on the trailer ??

Side braces and bottom plywood is in place!
1513613520788.jpg

Attachments

• 1513613520788.jpg
    1513613520788.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 23
You want really good air flow through a smoker.. With that air flow you will need temp control... The exhausts on your smoker body should be on the side walls near the roof.. Forced air furnace floor registers work good.. same on the bottom of the side walls.. or screened openings with slide dampers made from wood..
Will you have the smoker body ABOVE the firebox ?? How will it be set up on the trailer ??
Planning on having it set basically exactly how it is now. I may set it onto 4x4 posts to bring it up just a little bit though

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky