First time Potato Sausage. Worked for the most part: "Asking for Help " Lots of pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Reactions: chef jimmyj
You killed those sausages man. I am just getting into sausage making myself. This coming weekend should be my first batch. Hopefully it turns out half as good as yours looks!
Thanks Smokin, they looked and tasted good, I will change it up a bit because of the blowout on the large link
But not bad for the first try

David

I'll enclose my Potatis Korv recipe below. I have only made it once, I wasn't brought up on it, its good, but I made it for a young lady. I don't remember where my recipe originated, It might of come from Hoity Toite? Thats man has an amazing wealth of knowledge and lives down in Texas with all those meat procressing, sausage making Boheimians.

But back to the blowouts, Very very seldom have I ever been able to blame a bad casing. Ohh yes, I have had a couple but usually its for one of two things and they are the ying and yang on condensate. Nearly everyone has said, you got to saok those casings. That is the most common but the other side of the story is, you have GOT to dry thru evaporation or dehydration. Generally hang it to dry if cured, or throw it in the reefer for a couple of days if not. When I say dry it doesn't have to end up parchment like, just dry. Not just tacky, I always allow a couple of days at the very least.

Ok, the recipe, what I liked about this recipe was its simple. It doesn't have a half dozen spices in it.

Potatis Korv
Swedish Potato Sausage
Yield: 10 lbs.

Ingredients:
3 poundsof pork
3 poundsof beef
3 poundsof potatoes
1 poundof onions [white onions]
2 cupsof water
13 tspsof kosher salt
10 tspsof white peppers
1 tablespoonand 1 tsp of allspice
mix all of your spices into the water and stir really well. put the bowl of water and spices in the frige until needed.
grind meats, potatoes and onion through a 3/8th plate 1 time. this is a course sausage, not emulsified.
mix the water with seasoning into the meat until it gets nice and tacky.
stuff into hydrated hog casings.
to cook, place into a skillet with a little water and simmer until done. like boudin. you can grill it but it may split on you. i used a large electric cooker to poach the rings because i did them all at once.
mix all of your spices into the water and stir really well. put the bowl of water and spices in the frige until needed. grind meats,potatoes, and onion through a 3/8th plate 1 time. this is a course sausage, not emulsified. mix the water with seasonings into the meat until it gets nice and tacky. stuff into hog casings. to cook, place into a skillet with a little water and simmer until done. you can grill it but it may split on you. i used a large electric cooker to poach the rings because i did them all at once.
Directions:
Mix all of your spices into the water and stir really well. Put the bowl of water and spices in the frige until needed.
Grind meats,potatoes, and onion through a 3/8th plate 1 time. This is a course sausage, not emulsified.
Mix the water with seasonings into the meat until it gets nice and tacky.
Stuff into hog casings.

To cook, place into a skillet with a little water and simmer until done. You can grill it but it may split on you. I used a large electric cooker to poach the rings because I did them all at once.

BTW This is from my cookbook, I added a sausage section so I could remember what I have done.... LOL. Ain't it fun to expoeriment!! I hope it helps you. I probably mixed the spices in a 1/2 C of water vice 2C's. That is only 10 lbs of meat and taters, I can't for the life of me imagine adding 2 cups of water into that mixture. I was thinking there was milk in it, LOL but that was another one from Hoite Toite, Weisswurst. I always enjoy trying new sausages, if they are not exactly what you are looking for, you can do it again!! I have tried and tried and tried, and have yet to make a hot dog that I consider edible.

Good luck and enjoy all the fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
I wasn't brought up on it, its good, but I made it for a young lady.
Good luck and enjoy all the fun.
Thanks foamheart for the comment and the recipe , I have now printed it with your process. Added to the list of things to try.

Don't we always try to please someone with the things we do. lol

And most of the time I do have fun with building things with food ( sometimes I also stress myself out )

thank you

David

I was just talking to Syracuse Casing's and Peter told me just because of what is going on in the world, there is not really any private orders ( meaning small orders ) can not and do not know when it will happen. Told me maybe some one in the US could order it and bring it to me. LOL. pretty hard while the borders are kind of still closed right now for non essential.

No problem I will look around and see if I can find a supplier for quality casings here in Canada

Thanks all for the recommendation about Syrecuse

David

I would be the black sheep of the flock, I use butchers and packers. I buy on line. The times I have talked with them it made me want to swap. BUT I have always got good casing from them. I don't know about shipping to, where Canada? If it is a problem I suggest sending David Farrell a shout, he's a sausage maker and an published cook in Canada. He lurks around here as "Disco", he might help you get casings up north. <shrugs> never hurts to ask.

I would be the black sheep of the flock, I use butchers and packers. I buy on line. The times I have talked with them it made me want to swap. BUT I have always got good casing from them. I don't know about shipping to, where Canada? If it is a problem I suggest sending David Farrell a shout, he's a sausage maker and an published cook in Canada. He lurks around here as "Disco", he might help you get casings up north. <shrugs> never hurts to ask.
Thanks foamheart, I am in Nova Scotia . right next to Maine. I have chatted with Disco ( Alberta )on other things . He is out in Alberta. I used his method on Back Bacon and printed off a few other items he has done. I am going to use the casings I have and see if it was just the way that i steamed the potato sausage. I think it just did it too hotand they just expanded way too fast. \as the small links did not break.

Thanks for your help and information

David

Reactions: foamheart
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky