First time picanha roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TxwrightxT

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Bacliff, Texas
So I decided to try something new today and threw a picanha roast on the smoker today. What a wonderful piece of meat that is!
53586081-862C-4B64-A08C-6C42AD81239F.jpeg

Ran it low and slow with some pecan wood to about 135*.
A2B77849-EA2E-4B07-9D48-4EC4CAB8A94B.jpeg

Then I seared it for a little less than 2 minutes per side on the smoke box grates.
E8E8EE08-FA1B-4453-893A-5E2CF4C6FF5A.jpeg

Sliced it up about an inch thick.
C15B09C7-849E-4A21-B368-DC347CA3DA37.jpeg

Bon Apetite boys and girls!

Very nice...I have made it a few times but usually on the grill. I do have an entire one that I smoked to 110 deg (fat cap on) now in the freezer. At some point I will SV to 132 deg and hard sear on the gasser.

Reactions: Will Squared
Very nice. I’ve not seen that cut near me.
If you see it, I would highly recommend grabbing one! It’s a pretty inexpensive cut that yields some fantastic results.
Looks great!!! What sides did you make?
We just did some store bought potato salad and baked beans. We were trying to limit the mess inside.
Is a Picanha the same cut as a Tri Tip?
I’m not exactly sure but I think omnivore is correct about the sirloin cap

it is not the same as the tritip but it is near it on the cow. I paid $4.99/lb for the coulotte but it came with a heavy fat cap. Once removed it probably averaged out to $7.99/lb, but it is good...still think I like TT better but it was still very good.

I’ve had that cut a few times at Brazilian Churrascarias. It’s always had the fat cap on but only maybe 1/4” Of it. I also think the only seasoning they used was coarse salt, almost like rock salt. The one I had in Chihuahua Mexico was one of the best pieces of meat I’ve ever eaten.

Reactions: TxwrightxT
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky