1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time jerky help

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by russmn, Mar 10, 2018.

1. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

Ok so I got 14 pounds of eye of ROUND today. I asked the guy at Sam's club of he couild run it through a slicer at 1/4 inch think for jerky. I actually called and spoke with him prior to going to the store. He knew it was for jerky. Any way he sliced it all by hand!!!! None of it is 1/4 inch! More like half inch! So nOw they are all basically 1/2 inch steaks. What can I do ? Is this going to be Ok? I am going to be smoking the jerky in my reverse flow insulated smoker with charcoal and wood. I also plan to use cure .

2. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Man... that's to bad.. to bad you couldn't put it all back together and make it into a roast again... then freeze it all in a hunk and cut the slices all into thinner pieces. .

3. Rings Я Us

IMG_20180308_002908.jpg

4. jp61

jp61 Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Can you cut the 1/2" slices into 1/4" strips?

SonnyE likes this.
  5. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

Haha is there anything I can do ? Well I lik e nuggets made by jack links lol

6. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

Yep,cube it.

7. Rings Я Us

Hmm.. maybe you can pound them out between plastic wrap, like pounding out meat for a recipe.

8. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

The last 'Butcher' I spoke with at our Sam's Club went back and got an interpreter. :(
    I bought some sliced, then hand sliced it myself.

I asked at a local Butcher shop, and a surly young guy quoted me $10 a pound to slice a roast into Jerky for me. I don't think they like the extra work. And uh, I haven't been back either. o_O

So to get what I want, I cut it myself. ;)

9. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

10. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

Well I could definitely try to but that is a giant pain in the butt ...It's just nuts to do that to 15 pounds of meat

11. jp61

lol.... Yes it's some work.

Last time I made 20 lbs from eye of round. Sliced 1/4" thick on my slicer then cut them into 3/4" strips across the grain.

12. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

Haha I meant nuts for that so called butcher to do that to 15 pounds of meat lol illk do the work lol

13. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

20180310_221424.jpg

14. jp61

:D Sorry, I misunderstood.

They look good to me. Soon you'll be enjoying some great home made jerky.

15. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

What do you recommend for finished internal temp?

16. myownidaho

myownidaho Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

It’s hard to get an IT on jerky. What you’re looking for is a texture you want. On thicker cut jerky like you’re doing, I look for a light cracking when it’s bent.

17. jp61

Like mentioned above I use the bend test for gauging doneness.