First time doing some butts and first for a bunch of people

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

highonthehog

Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
So first time doing boston butts and first time i will be cooking for 200+ people wish me luck but i have a few Q's for the master's out there.

Q's

1: how long should i try to take to cook them to get it melt in your mouth pork?

2: what temp should i pull off the smoker at before its "over cooked"/ dried out

3: i have heard of people pulling off smoker then putting into a cooler wrapped up in foil and towles? if i that what temp do u pull off smoker and wrap it because would it contuine to cook when wrapped?  also what the pros and cons to this?

4: is there a X amount of time for X of ibls or per pound an hour?

5: I also read about a resting period before pulling the pork why is this?

6: finaly how could i guesstimate oh how much butt to buy for 200 people we are also doing chicken but guessing 3/4 will have pork pulled.  How much per sandwich of weight is on there do u think? 

Hope i made sence on the last Q thanks for your help and any other advice that u think i could use would be great - J

So first time doing boston butts and first time i will be cooking for 200+ people wish me luck but i have a few Q's for the master's out there.Q's1: how long should i try to take to cook them to get it melt in your mouth pork?There is no set time for smoking Butts. 2: what temp should i pull off the smoker at before its "over cooked"/ dried out see #33: i have heard of people pulling off smoker then putting into a cooler wrapped up in foil and towles? if i that what temp do u pull off smoker and wrap it because would it contuine to cook when wrapped? also what the pros and cons to this? Pull and wrap in foil at 165° put back on smoker till tnternal of 200°. Then you can wrap in towels and in chest if you aren't ready to start pulling. The butts need to rest for at least one hour after coming off the grill to let the juices redistribute.4: is there a X amount of time for X of ibls or per pound an hour? not really 5: I also read about a resting period before pulling the pork why is this? see #36: finaly how could i guesstimate oh how much butt to buy for 200 people we are also doing chicken but guessing 3/4 will have pork pulled. How much per sandwich of weight is on there do u think?you want to end up w/ around 1/3 lb of done pork per person . You can figure about 30% loss from raw weight to done weight.

So first time doing boston butts and first time i will be cooking for 200+ people wish me luck but i have a few Q's for the master's out there.

Q's

1: how long should i try to take to cook them to get it melt in your mouth pork?

2: what temp should i pull off the smoker at before its "over cooked"/ dried out

3: i have heard of people pulling off smoker then putting into a cooler wrapped up in foil and towles? if i that what temp do u pull off smoker and wrap it because would it contuine to cook when wrapped?  also what the pros and cons to this?

4: is there a X amount of time for X of ibls or per pound an hour?

5: I also read about a resting period before pulling the pork why is this?

6: finaly how could i guesstimate oh how much butt to buy for 200 people we are also doing chicken but guessing 3/4 will have pork pulled.  How much per sandwich of weight is on there do u think? 

Hope i made sence on the last Q thanks for your help and any other advice that u think i could use would be great - J
Cook to temp not by time - for best results foil at 165 with a little apple juice mixed with some Capt Morgan and some of your rub splashed on when you foil. Take it to 205 and place it in a cooler wrapped in towels for at least an hour - if you warm the towels in your dryer you can hold them a lot longer. I have held them for 6-8 hours and they have still been to hot to handle with your hands

I figure 1/3 # per serson for a sammie so 200 X.33 = 66 # then figure that you will loose 40% of the weight in cooking you will need about 90#

Hope this helps  

this sounds great guys thanks.two more Q's what about an all around flavorfull rub that would be good for the mass's that everybody would enjoy? also looking for thermoneters wireless to check on inside the house but a few wired ones so a: something less to go wrong and b: cheaper but the wired ones to put in one or two butts per shelf to get over all temp of cooking product? thanks -J

Rub with Paprika, granulated garlic, pepper, brown sugar. Simple and tasty. You are braver than I am, 200 people and youv'e never cooked pulled por before!
eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky