First time Canadian Bacon smoke this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luvcatchingbass

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 31, 2017
SE North Dakota
I have been brining a couple of 4# pork loins (about 2" thick) since Feb 15th using pops brine and a Venison Leg Roast. Each are in their separate container with just shy of 1gal of brine, I have injected the brine in each 3-4 times and they are really nice and plump now, only difference is one has also got a mix of maple syrup, honey and Rye whiskey 3 times as an experiment plus the brine injection, the venison roast had sat a day or 2 with a coating of Jess Pryles Camo and Fragout Flavour Bunker Buster then into the brine. Beings I am planning a Saturday smoke I am wondering if I should consider doing any kind of a fresh water soak or just a rinse and air dry? I ask this because I just finished my first venison pastrami using the dry cure method from Hank Shaw and while it is really good it is a touch on the salty side and probably should have had a couple hour soak, knowledge for next time at least it is still edible. Beings I pumped these 3 full like meat footballs (the Venison Roast looks like one) I just am wondering if I could end up with over salting or is Pop's Brine good to go because of the way it is constructed?
Any other advice will also be appreciated, using OKJ Rider DLX Pellet Grill.

Thank you in advance

Good info from Jim . I might have missed it , but which strength of Pop's did you use ? I always use 1/2 cup canning salt , then 1/2 cup white and brown sugars . Saly is about right for me . The full cup was to much .
Fry test will tell the story . Let us know how it comes out .

For me a rinse is always a given, and it just depends on the product and my % salt as to whether I do a short soak or a longer soak. My personal sweet spot is 1.5% to 1.75% salt.

The constant in Pop's Brine is the 20g (heaping tablespoon) of Cure #1 to 1 gallon of water. The salt and sugar amounts are a variable, and the range of (sea) salt for example is 1/3 to 1 cup. So, that is pretty wide.

I'm thinking it's the injections that may make a difference, perhaps a big one. If you did just the soak in brine, then I'd rinse and smoke. But it sounds like you went full bore on the injections, so I'd definitely test fry.

Did a fry test on the ends last night and it was not too bad but will more than likely do a little soak Friday night. The one that has been getting the extra injection of my Honey, Maple Syrup and Rye Whiskey (approx 1 part, 1 part, 2 parts) actually seemed to have an Asian type flavor.
Brine I did was
- 1 cup kosher salt
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cure #1
- 1 gallon H2O

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky