First Time Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chew2475

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Connecticut
Each new year I try new things in the world of smoking and cooking. I figured I would start 2022 off with the ever intimidating beef brisket. Started New Years Eve morning (8am) by trimming and seasoning the 11lb brisket. Seasoned liberally with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Wrapped in Saran Wrap and let sit in the fridge till this morning at 6:30 am. Fired up the Camp Chef Pellet Smoker to 225-250 with Oak pellets. Let it go until reached 160 degrees (around 1pm). Then removed and before wrapping in butcher paper added 3-4 tsp of beef tallow (2 slathered on top and 2 slathered underneath). Then wrapped and put in the oven (started to get a bit drizzly here) at 275 degrees until it got to 203 degrees. Removed from oven and wrapped in towel and stuck in cooler for about an hour and half. Then sliced and had coleslaw, sautéed Brussel sprouts, and a cold Pilsner with it.

It came out very good and moist (more so on the point than the flat) but was all pull apart tender. Family enjoyed as well and are looking forward to sandwiches tomorrow with the leftover slaw, maybe some pickles. My 11y/o said we should melt some of our 1y/o smoked cheddar on the sandwich as well.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Brisket 1.jpg
    Brisket 1.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Brisket 2.jpg
    Brisket 2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Brisket 3.jpg
    Brisket 3.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 42
  • brisket 4.jpg
    brisket 4.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 39
Can you tell me a better way to start out a new year ? That looks awesome... great job...

And it wasn't as bad as you thought it was gonna be.. was it ??

Can you tell me a better way to start out a new year ? That looks awesome... great job...

And it wasn't as bad as you thought it was gonna be.. was it ??
All in All it was not bad. Figured I had done enough reading about doing so just had to go and do it and it came out good. I have to say that I prefer a smoked chuck roast over the brisket though.

nice work! full packers are the way to go. Flats by themselves are far more challenging.

Some times you just have to jump in and looks like you nailed it. Great job chew.
FWIW I've got 2 chuckies on now but I love some brisket too !

Really nice way to start the year . I waited 30 years to do my first one . I'm hooked on it now . I buy them to smoke and grind for burgers .
Nice work on that .

Reactions: chew2475
Good lookin' brisket, however to get consistency next time you cook you should cook to probe tender, not temp. Temp only tells you when you should start testing for probe tender. That's when you take a probe and insert into the thickest part of the flat and it goes in like it would go into peanut butter. That's when you know they are properly done.

Reactions: chew2475
Looks great! I'm still a little nervous to try a brisket. Maybe this year I'll take the plunge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky