First Time Brisket Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shane-o

Original poster
Nov 17, 2016
Hello all-

I am going to be smoking a brisket for the first time tomorrow on a Traeger Texas Elite 34. The brisket I have is 8 pounds. I would appreciate any and all tips/suggestions. TIA. 

This is my cheat sheet after reading hundreds of threads on brisket :)

Of course it is saved as a contact on my phone under BRISKET!

RUB:
1/4 cup kosher or coarse salt
1 tablespoon black pepper, ground
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons oregano leaves, dried
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin

Prep:  Rub 6-24 hrs earlier.
Temp:  225-250*
Target temps:  160-170*  Foil
200-205* Done
1 hr rest time

Spray Apple Juice once an hour during smoke time.
Toothpick test for tenderness.

Reactions: shane-o
After 30 or more briskets in the last 5 yrs I can tell to plan about 1 to 1.5 hrs per pound @ 225 to 250.

I always trim the fat down and usually only season with salt/pepper/obion/garlic (SPOG)

Occasionally I'll inject with beef broth. Kinda depends on size and quality cut.

As for the crutch (wrapped at 150 to 160) kinda depends on how much of a bark you want and time. The crutch will shorten cook time but will leave you with less "crunch". I usually crutch because most of the people I feed don't want the heavy crust. Again personal preference.

I always let it rest before serving. At least a half hour. Since I usually crutch I will let it rest in foil wrapped in towels in a cooler.

Sauce I serve as a side. I myself prefer the brisket with nothing on it. But again that is a personal choice.

If cooked to the proper temp, 190-195 for slicing, 200-205 if more a "pulled" texture, it will be fine

Good luck and enjoy your efforts.

Reactions: shane-o
After 30 or more briskets in the last 5 yrs I can tell to plan about 1 to 1.5 hrs per pound @ 225 to 250.

I always trim the fat down and usually only season with salt/pepper/obion/garlic (SPOG)

Occasionally I'll inject with beef broth. Kinda depends on size and quality cut.

As for the crutch (wrapped at 150 to 160) kinda depends on how much of a bark you want and time. The crutch will shorten cook time but will leave you with less "crunch". I usually crutch because most of the people I feed don't want the heavy crust. Again personal preference.

I always let it rest before serving. At least a half hour. Since I usually crutch I will let it rest in foil wrapped in towels in a cooler.

Sauce I serve as a side. I myself prefer the brisket with nothing on it. But again that is a personal choice.

If cooked to the proper temp, 190-195 for slicing, 200-205 if more a "pulled" texture, it will be fine

Good luck and enjoy your efforts.

When you say crutch (wrap), how air tight? I assume you leave your yemp probe in? I gave up on brisketsa whike ago but am lookjng to try again. I was definitely pulling too early.

Once I hit the stall and crutch I pull my temp probe. From past experience I know I have a couple of hours left. I wrap fairly tight with an apple juice/broth mix.

I leave the foil so I can open the top and use my thermo pen to check temp.

If I don't crutch I leave probe in til I hit my target temp.

I would echo many of the things said about spog or s&p for a brisket. make sure to trim it getting the really hard thick fat off it. it wont render and not fun to eat. leave about a finger thickness of a fat cap if you can. you can smoke fat side up or down i like to put the point toward my fire box with fat side down because of the smoker i use (offset stick burner)

another tip is to look at the flat before cooking and discover the grain of the meat. slice a very small piece diagonally across that grain the way you will cut it before serving. this helps you know how to cut when its cooked because once its cooked its a lot harder to see the grain.

and since this thread is worthless without pics... there is a brisket from a smoke i did a month ago..

Happy Smoking,

phatbac(Aaron)

I have always sworn by cooking at 225...then I tried cooking a brisket and pork butt at 275...I will never go back to 225 again. lol 250-300 is the range I play in now. No need to cook a brisket that slow. Should jiggle like jello when done. [emoji]128515[/emoji] I cook open until I get a nice dark bark on it, wrap it real tight so it doesn't have room to steam and holds all that juice to the meat and cook until it jiggles. Internal temp will be around 200-210. Then let rest for at least an hour before thinking of opening her up. [emoji]128515[/emoji]

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/SxFxZ/media/205EA3A3-7019-44EC-9C99-227D76F40817.jpg.html
http://s10.photobucket.com/user/SxFxZ/media/A6C9E0A6-A98C-4A27-871E-6F6B51D92BF6.jpg.html
http://s10.photobucket.com/user/SxFxZ/media/205EA3A3-7019-44EC-9C99-227D76F40817.jpg.html

Post pics of the finished product. [emoji]128515[/emoji] And if it doesn't go well don't get deterred. My first one turned out wicked dry and tough. lol This last one was my 3rd attempt at brisket. Just pay attention closely and learn each time what you can do better.

Last edited:

I have to agree on the high temp brisket too.

I used to do the 20 hour all night smoke for butts & brisket at 210 -220.

Now I do them in 8-10 hours at 270-280.

Just as tender & juicy, but a much shorter cook time!

Al

Last edited:
Reactions: sxfxz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky