First Time Beef Short Ribs with Q view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

harleysmoker93

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
Corrales, NM
I decided to try my hand at beef short ribs for the game today. Fired up the OK Joes this morning using some Kingsfod charcoal with some oak and hickory splits. I coated the ribs with so e mustard then rubbed the ribs first with a layer od salt pepper and some New Mexico Hatch red chile powder and let the sit while the pit came up to temp. Before I put them on I put a second layer of rub using Jeff's rub. Put em on and let em do their thing with the pit running at about 235 - 250. I pulled off when they hit an IT ranging between 160 and 170. I usually don't check the IT or ribs but since these are very thick and. Can be tough I decided treat them somewhat like a brisket. Nice I pulled them I foiled them all together with a little liquid to do a "stealth" braise as someone on here calls it. I left them on the pit foiled for about 1.5 hours till IT reached about 190. I just pulled them out and they look and smell terrific. I think I'm going to put them back on for a few minutes to glaze them with a sweet heat grill glaze. I will probably just glaze half of them.

I also smoked a couple roast last night, a tri-tip roast and a sirloin tip roast. On the tri-tip I just used SPOG and a good layer of some Hach red chile powder. The sirloin tip I used Jeff's rub using the my Hach red chile powder for the chile powder in his recipe. I let the cool in the fridge over night and sliced them up real thin. We're going to serve smoked beef sliders and beef short ribs.

Here are some pics.

Thanks Sailor.

Does anyone have any advise on how to re-heat the sliced beef? I cooled it off to make slicing easier but now I'm not to sure if I'm going to dry it out when I warm it up.

These ribs were awesome. This my first time smoking these. I think beef short ribs may be my new favorite cut of beef. :yahoo:

Little late to answer, but reheating sliced beef in Au Jus or beef broth is a good way to go. Or simply cover with foil and warm in the oven.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky