First time bacon maker. Too much cure #1. Did I ruin it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stockcreek

Original poster
Jan 3, 2022
First time bacon maker here, and I unfortunately found this forum after I attempted my first cure.

I followed a recipe that I apparently misunderstood. I used 2.5% salt by weight. . . but I used 2.5% of cure #1 as my only salt. I just realized this mistake. The bacon has been in the fridge for almost 2 weeks.

Can I rinse the bacon and restart the cure with the correct recipe from this site? Will there be too much cure #1 left in the meat to be at a healthy level? Will the meat still be good?

Any help here would be appreciated.

2 weeks in the cure...it is done curing. There is no easy way to remove the cure #1 from the meat.

My understanding is that the cure amount will be high even after cooking, but I would still eat it, but in severe moderation. Do not pig out on that bacon. OR save it strictly as a seasoning meat.

Do you ever make and grind your own pork sausage? I've never used cured belly before usually pork butt, but if you're worried about the too much cure then grind it with pork butt at a 50/50 blend. Make sure you get an even blend and treat it like fresh sausage when cooking it.

Ryan

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky