First time almond smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shaneyb72

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 11, 2014
So I did 2 “first time” smokes today...cheese and almonds.

The cheese went well and is in the fridge now mellowing.

The almonds went fine, but I don’t taste any smoke flavor at all. I put them in ziplocs, added a touch of oil, seasoned them, and gave them a good shake. I smoked them at ~220 for 3.5-4 hours with a mix of wood chips (apple, Jack Daniels Oak, and a little mesquite). When they came off the smoker I roasted them in a 250 degree oven for an hour to add some “crunch”. They are nice and crunchy, taste good, but just have no smoke aroma or flavor.

Any ideas??

I wish I could help you with your question but it sure sounds like a tasty cook. I wanna do some cheese as soon as I figure it out. We buy smoked chees all the time and I’m itching to try it myself. Got any pictures of the process

I only smoked almonds one time & they were too smokey!
So I sure can't give you any advice on that!
But I'm glad the cheese came out good!
Al

I’m wondering if bribing the almonds first would help?? I read another thread where they said they bribe them in basically water, salt and sugar for only 10 minutes prior to smoking. Maybe these helps hold the smoke?

I have an easy recipe for smoked almonds here.

Although your recipe sounds delicious too. I will give a try with your recipe as well.

I’m wondering if bribing the almonds first would help?? I read another thread where they said they bribe them in basically water, salt and sugar for only 10 minutes prior to smoking. Maybe these helps hold the smoke?
Sorry about the auto-correct...brine not bribe!

UPDATE: after a couple weeks the almonds really got a good bit smokier...smelling and tasting! They really turned out perfect!

In fact, they were so good that my wife has me smoking another 3 lbs. now! This time I brined them in water, salt and sugar for just 10 minutes. Then I shook them with a touch of oil and a variety of seasonings...
-salt, pepper & garlic
-salt, pepper, garlic, and chipotle
-ranch
-buffalo ranch

Then I followed the same process as before with the smoker followed by the oven.

So the key here is to let them sit a while then the smokey flavour kicks in? Opposite of cheese huh? I heard with cheese to let it mellow or it tastes burnt!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky