First Solo Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john-boy

Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
I decided to do a chicken this weekend for my turkey test run. This is the first time Ive smoked anything. I am extremely pleased with the turnout. I used an apple cider/salt water brine and let it soak overnight. I want to use apple for my smoke on Thanksgiving, but I used alder for my first run. I smoked a 5 lb free ranger fryer. Started the fire at about 10am, had the bird on at about 11am. Pulled the bird off at 4pm. It turned out better than I could have imagined. I shared my spoils with a couple friends and the family. Everyone was impressed. Only thing I was concerned about was the fact that it didnt seem to get as hot as I wanted it to. Need to work on the technique a bit. I used the Minion method for my heat. Here is a pic of the final product. Thanks again to everyone thats given their advice freely, I appreciate it.

Good looking bird, John. If you tuck the wings down behind the back, they won't turn quite so dark.

Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a fine lookin clucker ya got there! Dibs on the wishbone!
For brining containers go to your local Dunkin Donuts or Mr. Donut and ask them for frosting containers and lids. They commonly sell for about $2.00 and are food quality, and they will hold a 20 lb. bird!
wink.gif

p.s. they have smaller ones too.

Nice looking bird John-boy! If you want frosting buckets w/lids, you can try a grocery store that decorates cakes in their bakeshop, theyll give those away free!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky