First Smoking Second Meat Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Connecticut
Did the brisket first then threw on the shouder while everything was still smellin' good. The shoulder got done at about 4 am - way to late to play with the computer so I'm posting it 10 hours later. Still looks pretty good but not as good as it did when I first took it out.

I never smoked a fresh shoulder so I kept it simple. Salt, pepper, cajun spice. I did not brine it first so I could get a better idea of what it taste like before I throw everything at it. Tastes great but could use a touch of salt. Might be the first time I've ever said that!

A full brine might be to salty for my taste so next time a may do a light brine with a touch of maple and apple juice.

My first shoulder

Shoulder1.jpg

Kind of like tasting meat for the first time. Fresh and clean from the butcher shop - no chemicals.

Debi

Nice looking ham there Deb, I'm also an all natural meat person also .. nothing beats the taste.. Soon you'll try making your own rubs and sauces .. do you foil them or just let them cook away until tender?

Joe

Hi Joe -

This puppy was cooked open until the last 2 hours then I foiled it threw it in the oven at 180 degrees and went to bed for a bit.

I have a simple rub I use for most meats. It only varies in the amount of garlic I use. I turned the shoulder into a pulled pork it was great with my newly developed lemon dipping sauce.

I want to try making a nice old fashioned home style hickory smoked bacon with a hint of maple next. Can't wait the pork bellies come in on Thursday!

Debi

Ohh lemon dipping sauce .... sounds interesting .. I use lots of garlic <also being italian> .. I was wondering if you ever slept doing one long cook after another, Seems like you have the smoking bug:) The bacon I cured was more inline with pruscuitto <if I cured it fo 8 months or so> Good luck with the bacon.

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky