First smoker build from the ground up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rancid crabtree

Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
My last homemade smoker lasted 15 years. It was a converted chest freezer I tipped on its side and it worked great for hot smoking but eventually rusted through.

Being that I like to build things, I began building a new smoker from scratch.

My smoker will sit outside year round so it has to be weatherproof. Since most of the meat smoking I do is in the winter in temps below freezing, I will insulate the smoker with 1 ½ thick foam board. I will use treated lumber for the legs since its going to sit outside year round. I will make it for hot smoking but will want to try my hand at cold smoking (something I have never tried)  I want ten racks and the extra height for smoking hot sticks and bacon sides. The inside smoking area I’m shooting for is 25” wide, 20” deep and 48” tall and will be lined with aliminum. Its going to have dual exhaust, and T-111 exterior siding and will be about 7 feet tall. The inner walls are going to be ½ inch thick plywood.

The back wall

03fce5d4_smoker1.jpg

Fast forward to the completion of the structure. The upper opening is the smoking chamber. The lower is where the electric heating elements and pan filled with wood will go. each compartment will have its own door so I can add wood and adjust the heat without opening the upper area and letting all the heat out. The recessed areas are 1 ½ inches deep and will be filled with pink foam board (R-7.5).

1850e4c8_smoker2.jpg

4facf161_smoker3.jpg

Here is the inner ceiling. I’m using 3 inch galvanized for the smoke stacks. I cut and bent tabs all the way around to attach it to the wood and to have a good seal.

6cce6970_smoker4.jpg

Testing to see if it fits.

235213b4_smoker5.jpg

The space between the inner ceiling and the outer roof will be filled with insulation board. This was to test the fit to make sure I had the smoke stack holes in the right place.

3a5b5230_smoker6.jpg

I don’t have a sheet metal break for making the bends in the aluminum lining so I improvised.

450f436b_smoker7.jpg

The floor piece being tested for proper fit. My plan is to wrap all the exposed wood with aluminum. I will use aluminum nails to hold the aluminum lining in place to avoid rust.

8c0ab4e7_smoker8.jpg

The racks for smoking will be supported by 3/4 inch poplar dowels. They will be supported by the hard maple strips on each side. I drilled a 7/8 inch hole about halfway through the maple and then split each one on my table saw. Each strip will be able to support 5 dowels.

2b4cb1f8_smoker9.jpg

c1ff913d_smoker9.jpg

Once I finish lining the entire inside with aluminum, I will attach the maple rack supports. 

I got the entire inside wrapped in aluminum and the maple rack supports installed. It was a bigger pain in the butt than I thought it would be.

efbf79f9_smoker92.jpg

4b64c193_smoker93.jpg

573a91f1_smoker94.jpg

f4f0cc91_smoker95.jpg

Next up........ Insulation.

Looks to me like you are doing a heck of a good job on this smoker... Looking forward to seeing more of the build...

nice build!!! the only thing i question is the galvanized exhaust ports,  i've seen post that galvanized metal can emit a chemical that is not good.  some of the more experienced guys/gals should be on a lil later.  they may prove me wrong..but i wanted to toss it out there.

nice build!!! the only thing i question is the galvanized exhaust ports,  i've seen post that galvanized metal can emit a chemical that is not good.  some of the more experienced guys/gals should be on a lil later.  they may prove me wrong..but i wanted to toss it out there.
He's Not Using Galvanized he's using Aluminum...

Here is the inner ceiling. I’m using 3 inch galvanized for the smoke stacks. I cut and bent tabs all the way around to attach it to the wood and to have a good seal.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

he has this posted above...don't know if you saw that.  i did see he was using aluminum for the inner walls.

I'm with Redneck. I questioned the galvanized for the smoke stacks, but they look aluminum to me.

Other than that it looks like a great build. Can't wait to see it with TBS

Thanks for the comments. The only galvanized metal in the smoking chamber are the small tabs I bent for the smoke stacks up on the ceiling. The stacks themselves are outside the smoke chamber. The rest of the interior is aluminum and maple strips.

If galvanized metal is really a problem, I could cover those tabs with aluminum.

Last edited:
Rancid, Morning. Since the metel is on the exhaust end of the smoker, it should not be a problem.

I have seen galvanized metal exhaust on gas fired hot water tanks inside a home. Not a problem.

Zinc: boils at 1665*F/ melts at 788*F

If your smokehouse catches on fire, the fumes from the zinc would not be safe to breath.

http://www.horsehead.net/admin/_images/MSDS/MSDS for SHG Metal.PDF

Here is the MSDS for zinc so you can decide for yourself if you need to change the stack.

Thanks Dave. That is what I understood to be the risks associatied with zinc. Yes, if my smoker catches fire, I will have an increased concern for the product in the smoker.
roflmao.gif

With the interior done I focused on the outside. First the insulation. R 7.5 Pink foam board 1 1/2 thick.

a31e7e92_smoker96.jpg

I caulked around the smoke stacks before insulating. I don’t want any leaks.

45e227e3_smoker97.jpg

Then the outer roof went on and more caulk.

29d698ef_smoker98.jpg

Next was the fascia and some paint.

d28cda4d_smoker99.jpg

Then some tar paper.

c81768f8_smoker991.jpg

Then the metal roof and drip edge and some white silicone caulk over the aluminum nail heads to prevent any leaks.

Normally drip edge goes on before the tar paper and is covered by asphalt shingles that cover the nails holding the drip edge. The thin metal is not as robust as shingles so I used the drip edge to hold the thin roof metal down and to cover all the nails holding it in place. I put a large bead of silicone under each piece of drip edge before nailing it in place.

3f8e22ed_smoker992.jpg

7fcf1c43_smoker993.jpg

Last edited:
Since I don’t want rain and snow getting into the smoke stacks and since I cant find any caps for 3 inch ducting I made some from galvanized sheet.

3631e8c4_smoker_996.jpg

The rolled it and riveted the joint.

a8386405_smoker_997.jpg

Since I also can't find inline butterfly dampers for 3 inch ducting, I made my own from brass threaded rod and stainless hardware (no rust). It was pretty much a huge pain in the butt but it worked out ok.

31ec5307_smoker_998.jpg

a289684c_smoker_9991.jpg

744fe0c8_smoker_999.jpg

b59afed5_smoker_9993.jpg
b84db4ed_smoker_9992.jpg

Got the siding on and the corner trim.

8d4559b7_smoker_9994.jpg

0349573c_smoker_9995.jpg

e256e69f_smoker_9996.jpg

Then I spent some time working on the upper door. The face of the door will be two layers. 1. is half inch plywood and 2. is the same T-111 siding I've been using. It will also be insulated framed with 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 lumber.

f76cc25f_smoker_9997.jpg

Then another layer of plywood to support the metal lining.

dff3fcd4_smoker_9998.jpg

I start the aluminum at the bottom and overlap all the joints like shingles on a roof so no moisture can get to the wood.

0dfc1a29_smoker_9999.jpg

Then the sides.

8c86b370_smoker_99991.jpg

Then the face. (all metal is held in place with aluminum nails)

0bd8071f_smoker_99992.jpg

I'm thinking of powering this smoker will electric elements but am considering propane (or both) Any suggestions or opinions to sway me either way?

looks awesome!!!  great job with all the bending.  I'm about 90% done building my smoker, i put an electric element in it wired to a thermostat.  No worries on temp with the setup.  i can set it and let it be until it's done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky