First smoker and new to forum.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saitotiktmdog

Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Indiana
My smoker has been built out of mostly scrap items that I have been given or had laying around. It is built with two air bladder water tanks. One my grandpa gave me and the other I hauled out from underneath my parents house. It has been an ever changine work in progress adding this and that. It started out as just the main chamber and no rack on the front. I then added the side fire box but too high up. I have recently lowered it down and added a baffle to the bottom that is removable. I added boxes underneath it with slide out bottoms for ash removal. It can be used as both a grill and a smoker. I also added a rod in one end and a half circle plate ont he other that will slide under the firbox grate on the one end to keep the area under the coals clear so they breath. My next step is to add external thermometers, and try and get the lids to seal a bit better. I wiould also like to find a way to insulate the outside. Right now my only real idea is draping a welding blanket over it. I have hardly any money in the thing. Maybe $100 to $150.  That includes the hinges, the expanded meta, some rebar for the fire box grates etc. Anyways here it is below.

24318a9e_DSCN1560.jpg

eaab7d0e_DSCN1561.jpg

2414f6c7_DSCN1563.jpg
0116a6ca_DSCN1564.jpg

Welcome to the family !

and you just named your smoker.

"  The transformer "

I have done half a pig on it and a hand full of briskets. I am looking to try a pork shoulder soon. Brisket is my favorite so its hard not to want to do that every time. There are some things that I would do differently if I was going to start from scratch knowing what I know now, but it is what it is. A lot of the things like the boxes on the bottom of each chamber with slide out bottoms really help with ash removal. I am experiementing with filling the lower box ont he main chamber with fire brick when smoking. Not necessary when using it as a grill. I am currintly tossing around ideas for insulating it for better heat retention. I would like to find a way to insulate the fire box also. I guess in my case its more of a fire tube though.

Got a few more pictures of my smoker and some pictures of a pork loin that I did yesterday. Pulled it off at an internal temp of 195. Tendor but not fall apart. Perfect for thin slicing and making a sandwich. MMMMMMMMMM. Used a basic bbq rub. Paprika, Cayenne pepper, chilli powder, onion powder, salt, garlic, brown sugar, celery seed, etc. Smoked it from about 1:00 to 7:30pm or so. I will post them when I get a chance.

Glad to see another Hoosier on the site!  Your smoker looks like it has been a fun project.  One question; what is the knob-looking thing on the front-right of your firebox?  Just a plug, or does it do something? (Sorry, I'm always hunting for ideas)
45.gif

You're going to love this place; I'm already addicted.  Take Care!

-Hex

Welcome to SMF. Looks like you are off and running. Looking forward to seeing your qview

The knob is actually a pipe plug. The firebox was a water bladder pressure tank in its former life. The main chamber was also one. There were three outlets for pipes. Two were plugged and one had the supply pipe. The way I have it is one of the ports points straight down and is always open, and is the minimum air intake that I can have. The other two I can also open to introduce air above the coals if I wanted two. The front port in the picture though is stuck in now and I cant get it out. The box under neath the firebox is my ash catcher/remover and has a slide out bottom and is also an air inlet baffle. It will introduce air right under the coals closest to the main chamber inlet. I have some more pictures I need to post. I did not get around to it last night.

0a39dfe8_DSCN1614.jpg
e6e92f88_DSCN1615.jpg
e5f0773b_DSCN1616.jpg
04e20394_DSCN1618.jpg

Here are a few more pictures and a trial run with a pork loin. I cut the end off so I could send a piece with my buddy who had to take off early.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky