First smoked cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ismoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Independence, MO
So about a week ago, I smoked some bacon for the first time, and thought...shoot, if I'm doing that I might as well try some cheese to, right?  Not wanting to waste a bunch of expensive cheese, I went to the store and bought 4 blocks of cheese, 2 medium sharp cheddar, monterey jack, and pepper jack.

2b91dd11_IMAG0057.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic, took this with my camera...

I smoked it for about 3 hours with maple, as that was what I had planned to use on the bacon, then brought them in, and food saved them for aging:

31bcd5bc_IMAG0058.jpg

I couldn't help but try a little sliver of them, and they were tasty.  I didn't really notice much of a color change (except the grate marks, lol), but could definitely taste the smoke.  I just hope that I gave it long enough so that the flavor doesn't leave as it mellows.  Anyways, I guess I'll find out on Wednesday when I can finally dig in!

Forget about it for a couple weeks and you'll be very surprised at the difference.  The smoke will mellow and permeate the cheese.

How's your bacon?

Todd

Sometimes they don't look like they took on the smoke but they will, be patient for 336 hours and enjoy.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 They will last a year if you vacuum pack them and keep in the fridge.

Definitely let it sit at least two weeks before indulging...  Three days is too soon...

Oh, I'm definitely waiting the 2 weeks.  That will be Wednesday...I can't wait to test it out, so even though I knew that it wasn't going to be as good as it was, I had to induldge a little!  Can't wait to see it at its best, though!

Todd, the bacon was great...I have a thread in the bacon forum with some q-view for it, if you want to check it out!

Oh, I'm definitely waiting the 2 weeks.  That will be Wednesday...I can't wait to test it out, so even though I knew that it wasn't going to be as good as it was, I had to induldge a little!  Can't wait to see it at its best, though!

Todd, the bacon was great...I have a thread in the bacon forum with some q-view for it, if you want to check it out!
OK OK, It's Wednesday already!!!!!!!!!
congratulation_graphics_2.gif
  How's it taste?!?!

Looks great!

My first cheese smoke is just about ready to devour..

Craig

Great looking cheese, just finished my 1st batch of cheese, Swiss & Sharp Cheddar.  Now I have to wait a couple weeks.  That's the hardest part.
drool.gif
f9ddd525_003.jpg
d08bd8fb_004.jpg
279dfe4e_007.jpg

Good job. Just gotta wait a couple of weeks. Put it in the back or bottom of your fridge where you can't see it, it helps me, a little, but the wait is definitely worth it.

Ok, so I tried it on Wednesday, opened up a package of the cheddar.  My 3 year old son loves cheese, but has never had any smoked cheese, but he wanted the first piece.  I sliced it off for him, and...he said he didn't like it.  I figure that's probably just the smoke flavor, so I slice off a piece for myself, and I really couldn't taste the smoke flavor.  I tried a couple more slices (look, it's cheese, I still like it), and I couldn't taste it.  I know it's there, as if my son won't eat cheddar cheese, something is different about it, but I just couldn't quite make it out.  I think a little longer on the smoke next time will be in the works, but either way, I'm eyeing that pepper jack for some cheese burgers this week.  Should be tasty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky