First Smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
Last night I did my very first smoke on my massaged MPS 230s. I followed Bear’s recipe for smoke salmon. I was challenged to maintain the low temps required. I discovered some variability in my ThermoPro thermometer, and a wide variety of temps in different positions in the cabinet. The top shelf seems to vary the most, probably due to the vent. I also found that at low temps, I need to put my cast iron pan on top of the burner. Any higher and it won’t generate smoke. I was able to run a hotter flame by cracking open the lower door just a bit. in the end, the salmon came out great! Tonight I am smoking chicken thighs. I’m getting the hang of stabilizing the temps.

I am discovering, one of the best parts of smoking, is hanging on the patio, fussing over the smoke, and drinking this very nice Mexican Cabernet Sauvgnon! It should pair nicely with the chicken.

Welcome from NW Pa. Once you use your smoker regularly, you will figure your smoker out -you are already on your way as you have an idea where the cool spots are. Practice makes perfect! And also, you have have discovered one of the great joys of smoking - "hanging on the patio, fussingover the smoker and having an adult beverage or two

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Iowa! Yep you got it...once you learn your smoker you can adapt and work with it. You have also figured out it's supposed to be enjoyable not stressing over every little detail.

One small detail...we gotta see pics! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

The chicken thighs were fantastic! I gave them about one hour of smoke and it was about right.

I am seeing the value of sealing the cabinet. My temp probe grommet popped out and I saw a substantial decrease in temp on the nearest rack. Having leaky doors would not help at all.

It is a challenge to maintain steady temps. I make small adjustments, but still chase it around. I am going to have do some more testing of my thermometer so I can trust it.

"I followed Bear’s recipe for smoke salmon. I was challenged to maintain the low temps required."

Where can I find Bear's Recipe. I too have a masterbuilt and will be smoking some salmon. I am new to the forum and would like to do things the right way on this smoking adventure.

Thanks

"I followed Bear’s recipe for smoke salmon. I was challenged to maintain the low temps required."

Where can I find Bear's Recipe. I too have a masterbuilt and will be smoking some salmon. I am new to the forum and would like to do things the right way on this smoking adventure.

Thanks

Welcome aboard.
Drop into roll call sometime and introduce yourself as I am sure other members will give a warm welcome too.

Here's the link to Bear's Smoked Salmon

Last night I did my very first smoke on my massaged MPS 230s. I followed Bear’s recipe for smoke salmon. I was challenged to maintain the low temps required. I discovered some variability in my ThermoPro thermometer, and a wide variety of temps in different positions in the cabinet. The top shelf seems to vary the most, probably due to the vent. I also found that at low temps, I need to put my cast iron pan on top of the burner. Any higher and it won’t generate smoke. I was able to run a hotter flame by cracking open the lower door just a bit. in the end, the salmon came out great! Tonight I am smoking chicken thighs. I’m getting the hang of stabilizing the temps.

I am discovering, one of the best parts of smoking, is hanging on the patio, fussing over the smoke, and drinking this very nice Mexican Cabernet Sauvgnon! It should pair nicely with the chicken.
Another Iowan welcoming you into the best addiction around OldSmoke

I will visit the Roll Call, thanks!

I am going to modify the smoker a bit more. I have ordered a two-stage regulator and a needle valve. I should have it installed next week. If it helps stabilize the temps, I'll think about posting the part numbers for all of the mods I have done. It has been a good covid project.

In a couple of weeks I am going to host a BBQ lunch for a few friends. If it is not raining, we will eat on the patio where we can distance. If it is raining, it will be in the garage with the door open and the furnace running. I plan on ribs, chicken, smoked beans, Texas white bread, and coleslaw. Brownies for desert. And some nice Oregon beers as well.

Just don't get BBQ sauce on the motorcycle project...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky