First smoke -wsm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

StiemertC

Original poster
Jun 27, 2018
014AEA71-0432-4DF9-803D-440A38F0C812.jpeg
Here we go- didn’t do any seasoning just going to see what happens! Temp holding well, fingers crossed!

BE23543E-696B-49B3-AC88-5AF114234573.jpeg

What temp were you running the WSM at, and what IT did you take the chicken to?
Sounds like you cooked it too long.
I pull my birds off at 157 in the breast, and with a short rest they cruise right up to 165.
Always nice & juicy.
Al

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
What temp were you running the WSM at, and what IT did you take the chicken to?
Sounds like you cooked it too long.
I pull my birds off at 157 in the breast, and with a short rest they cruise right up to 165.
Always nice & juicy.
Al
I was trying to get a feel for the temps mostly, so for the first 30 minutes I was right at 221, I did the minion method with a full chimney of unlit in the chamber then added 25 or so lit coals.

After 30 mins I opened up the vents to see how much the temps would go up, got it to about 300.

Took the bird off at 162 but wanted to experiment grilling it directly over the coals, I could tell the skin was rubbery and useless at this point.

What temp and how long do you smoke whole chickens Al?

I was trying to get a feel for the temps mostly, so for the first 30 minutes I was right at 221, I did the minion method with a full chimney of unlit in the chamber then added 25 or so lit coals.

After 30 mins I opened up the vents to see how much the temps would go up, got it to about 300.

Took the bird off at 162 but wanted to experiment grilling it directly over the coals, I could tell the skin was rubbery and useless at this point.

What temp and how long do you smoke whole chickens Al?

I run my smoker at 325-350 for chickens and they take about 1 hour+, if they are spatchcocked.
But like I said in my post I pull them off at 157. If your going to run at a lower temp & want to crisp them up over the charcoal, then I would pull them off at 150 IT. Then onto the charcoal to finish them up. It should only take a couple of minutes over direct heat to get the skin crispy and they will also finish cooking in a couple of minutes at that high heat.
Al
Al

I run my smoker at 325-350 for chickens and they take about 1 hour+, if they are spatchcocked.
But like I said in my post I pull them off at 157. If your going to run at a lower temp & want to crisp them up over the charcoal, then I would pull them off at 150 IT. Then onto the charcoal to finish them up. It should only take a couple of minutes over direct heat to get the skin crispy and they will also finish cooking in a couple of minutes at that high heat.
Al
Al
Thanks Al!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky