First smoke with a Char-Griller Akorn, 5lb pork butt and a few sausages.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cjp87

Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Hi all, this is my first time back in a long time. I feel bad about my last time here (two years ago) when I tried to show off a smoker build (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/98436/big-blue-egg-finished-build-of-the-19-flower-pot-smoker) then disappeared after I never got it to work right. It's still sitting in my garage, but for some reason I could never keep the coals lit about 180 or so. I think the colander I used choked them out, and grad school took over all my time for troubleshooting (and my budget for buying). 

Well, two years later, and I now have a steel kamado instead of a homemade ceramic one. I started it up this morning after testing it out over the last few days (empty burn for seasoning and then some turkey brats I had in the fridge to test cooking). I'm hosting a watch party for the Oklahoma - Texas game (I'm a long-time OU student, undergrad through grad school), and I thought I'd try to make some pulled pork. A bit of a heating debacle when I started has pushed my hopeful finish time to well after the game starts, though, as instead of starting at 4:00am, I didn't get it really going until almost 6:00. I think I didn't account for just how much lump was still in it from the test runs, and overloaded it, spiking the temps up to nearly 350* (!!). I spent the next two hours trying to get it under control before I stuck the butt on. I finally got it to at least come down (though it's been a temperature roller coaster since then, I'm keeping an eye on it right now, in fact), and it's been on for a little over two hours. Temperature has fluctuated all the way from 180* to 275* (I think I almost choked out the coals once, and then overcorrected). I feel a bit like someone driving a Corvette that's used to Civic-- overcorrecting and spinning off the track. Still, I think I've gotten it at least to stay stable at close to 250*. A little more than I'd prefer, but I guess that'll help with my late start, too. 

I thought I should post this here, by the way, because I'm following a guide on these forums from mythmaster, Pineywoods, and meowy that Google turned up. I've got the SoFlaQuers finishing sauce ready and waiting (as well as some homemade barbecue sauce), and I'm spritzing with a 3:1 apple juice:Mount Gay rum mix. Wood is a mixture of cherry wood and hickory. Big thanks to those guys for making that guide!

Here are a few pictures from this morning, the smoke was way too high while the temps spiked, but it made for a cool picture. Then the meat going on after finally taming it. I'll add the sausages (hot Italian links, brats) when there seems to be about three or so hours left. Based on the turkey brats last night, that should be plenty of time. 

Last edited:
So I had my camera standing by to take some finished pictures, and I completely forgot. I got caught up in trying to get everything pulled in the middle of the game (which was horrible, BTW, Texas found their mojo when we lost ours), and it never crossed my mind to just reach over and take some pictures.

The pork was really good! The method in the guide I mentioned seems to be a winner, as the pork was super tender and very tasty. The bone just slipped right out. The brats and Italian sausages were tasty as well, though I made the mistake of not covering them while I pulled the pork, and I think I let them stay in a bit too long (I only had one meat probe, so I was going off looks for them). They were juicy when I pulled them off, but dried up pretty quickly. Live and learn, I suppose. The temperature wasn't as steady as I hoped, but part of that was my fault as well. Just means I'll have to keep practicing at that, too. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky