First smoke under my belt, I'M HOOKED!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

providence

Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Hi all and thanks to those who helped with my initial rookie questions. My first smoke was a big success. For those interested: I took a 2.5 lbs. pork loin, butterflied it open and then rubbed the inside and outside with a mixture of fresh parsley, fresh sage, fresh rosemary, orange zest, red pepper flake, salt, fresh cracked black pepper and olive oil. Then I wrapped the whole thing in pancetta and tied it up. I let that all sit in a plastic bag in the fridge for 6 hours. I then smoked it between 225 and 250 for most of the time, though it did creep up to about 270 for a bit. After 2.5 hours it was up to 145 degrees, which is when I took it out (pancetta was crispy too). If I had kept it a bit cooler it obviously would have taken longer, which would have been fine by mine. I was using pecan wood chips for this (and it was all done on my 18.5" weber smokey mountain). It was delicious and I am happy to have my first smoke under my belt. 

I forgot to add that the "paste" I rubbed inside and out contained two cloves of fresh chopped garlic. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky