First smoke today.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininri

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Rhode island
Gonna do a couple chix breast. Using Applewood chips in a charbroil 30in electric smoker. My only question is wut would the internal temp of chix be when finished.

Gonna do a couple chix breast. Using Applewood chips in a charbroil 30in electric smoker. My only question is wut would the internal temp of chix be when finished.

Safe IT for chicken is 165* in the breast ! I usually take mine to around 168* IT personally ! You will find different textures in the meat with different IT's.... Takes a few smokes to figure your liking but 165 * in the breast is the minimum safe IT !

Thanks water. No rush on it but roughly how long for chix to finish. Starting kinda late in the day.

Chicken is pretty flexible... A lot of folks will do the lower end temp 245-250* smoker temp & others will do higher smoker temp 350* + . I'm not the best at estimating time as I usually cook just with IT... How many #'s do the breast weigh ?

Don't know the # yet as she's at the market right now getting them. Lol. But that was my planned temp 240-250. They shouldn't be to big though

Last edited:
If your just doing the breasts & not whole chicken, IMHO... I would lean more towards a higher temp as to not dry em out & get to your safe IT quicker.... I like to rub my birds down with peanut oil as well before I season them as to create kind of a barrier if ya will to help hold in the moisture....I've been doing whole chickens spatchcocked as of late & they are good smoked around 245-250* . But breasts only I would go higher, around 325* Either way, I don't think your lookin more than a couple hours on your chicken, especially if ya go at 325*

Thanks water. I'll try the 325 and see what happens. Appreciate the help! I'll let u know how they come out with a couple pics of the finished product! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky