First Smoke in the Snow of the year; Chicken Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Swashbuckler BBQ

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Cortland, NY
Saw a good deal on Chicken Thighs at the Grocery Store yesterday that I couldn't pass up. They weren't the organic kind I usually buy, but I was willing to look past that this time. So, my Sunday Smoke was decided right then. So far this year it's been cold, but this is the first week where we actually got some serious snow.

I didn't do too much special with the WSM 22 to deal with the snow, but I did put up a makeshift wind block out of some old boxes to block out the wind a bit.

chicken_1_wsm.jpeg

Setup at the very edge of my garage with two boxes blocking the vent facing out into the snow. It's hard to tell from the photo, but we probably got a good foot and a half of snow over the past week and a half.

I smoked the Chicken Thighs at 275 for 1 hour uncovered and then about 45 minutes covered to bring the internal temperature up to about 185-190 ish. I then finished it off with a glaze for about 10 minutes.

chicken_3_rack_2.jpeg

Here's a few more photos of the finished product!

chicken_4_plate.jpeg

chicken_6_q_2.jpeg

Happy with the smoke and looking forward to many more in the Snow this year!:emoji_snowman:

Nice. What smoke flavor did you use?

I like a little higher temp to crisp off the skin,too.

I used one chunk of Hickory and one chunk of Cherry. I generally always use a mix of hickory and something else (cherry, pecan, apple, etc). Today I was feeling in the mood for some cherry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky