First smoke in new 130 MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

medicine man

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
South Fla
9687306C-A8E6-470C-B659-C2B0B9DAC980.jpeg
CF7378BC-3011-4792-9F80-78401AB75860.jpeg
577566F6-089D-4D2C-9DA1-C5030A16BA56.jpeg

Looks good.

Since the vast majority of MES owners including myself never use water in the pan we just foil it up to save the aggravation of cleaning it.

Looks very nice. I would foil your bottom catch pan also for easy cleanup.
Good to see a "full" smoker...
Digital thermometer 2 or 4 probe wouldn't be a bad idea either. Temp probes from masterbuilt are notorious for being inaccurate.

food looks tasty, as mentioned don't trust the mes thermometer, other then that I don't have any complaints about my mes 30, good luck with yours

Looks very nice. I would foil your bottom catch pan also for easy cleanup.
Good to see a "full" smoker...
Digital thermometer 2 or 4 probe wouldn't be a bad idea either. Temp probes from masterbuilt are notorious for being inaccurate.

Looks good.
Since the vast majority of MES owners including myself never use water in the pan we just foil it up to save the aggravation of cleaning it.

Thanks, yeah I meant to foil and just forgot. Remembered the first time I checked and pan was full of juices. I have 3 thermometers, believe it or not when I seasoned it, the temp reading of the smokers was within 2* of my Taylor and Mavericks. I don't trust the MB therm lol.

Nice cook! I cant even remember when my MES looked that clean. Check out the AMNPS...beats loading chips every 30 minutes!

Ordered one yesterday, and you are rights - every 30 mins like clockwork with this thing!

Reactions: Winterrider
Nice work!

Quick unsolicited tip for ya. Foil over the oval water pan and the drip pan at the bottom and clean up will be a breeze in the future and you wan't have to wash that stuff every time u want it clean and ready for a smoke :)

Reactions: medicine man
417C45E9-4019-4064-96C5-7A1ED7DF42C2.jpeg The chicken I pulled at 165* and it was cooked perfectly. Half the ribs I foiled and juiced after 3 hours, the other half I didn't foil. At 5 hours they all looked done, unfortunately they were done probably 45 minutes earlier, as they fell off the bone and were a little dry.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky