First smoke ever tomorrow - Pork ribs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danuk

Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
Smoker has been lit twice today and seasoned so is now ready for my first ever smoke.

Here we have my pork ribs covered with my home made rub. Will let them sit like this in the fridge until tomorrow then test out the smoker. Will have update pics when finished. Pretty excited :)

See you on the other side!

There is one immutable rule of smoking. It is critical and must be followed. Failure to do so is totally unacceptable.

It is have fun!

I look forward to your post!

Disco

Reactions: danuk
Thank you both :) And thanks Red for the advice on setting up the smoker. Ran it hot today as you said and then gave a spray of oil and ran it up to 250 for 2 hours so hopefully good to go :)

Last edited:
That rub looks interesting,care to share? Good luck with the smoke what are you using for wood and what type of smoker?

Happy to share. Smoker is a Brinkmann smoke n grill. Few mods with the legs on the outside, holes for air in the fire pan and a decent temp sensor installed.

My first rub is pretty much :

1 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup of salt

1/3 cup smoked paprika

1/2 cup of onion flakes (smashed with pestle and mortar)

2 tbsp (or more!!) dried scotch bonnet chilli

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp grinded pepper

Will see how it goes. Went with extra brown sugar as love the sticky sweet ribs. Wont be covering with sauce as perfer them dry. Its my first attempt so can modify from here on in. May be a little too much scotch bonnet powder. Sneezed a lot whilst grinding up the dried pods.

Have a dehydrator full of cayenne type heat pods which i can use for the next time. Love the chilli heat though!

Oh and will be using the free apple and cherry chunks that came with the smoker. Went out today to look for more wood but its the UK and all garden centres seem to have taken out the BBQ sections to fill with Xmas decorations and stuff. Hopefully will refill  in the next day or so! Searching amazon and ebay for a decent supplier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky