First smoke ever and I chose to do a brisket..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

downtown dave

Original poster
Nov 10, 2013
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Hey guys.. So I just posted in roll call and I wanted to share with you my first smoke, a brisket!

I marinated it overnight in Dr. Pepper, Jack Daniels, tobasco etc.. This is after my rub. I then wrapped it and stuck it in the fridge for 6 hours.

After 6 hours I wrapped her up in foil. This is right before the wrap.

About 13 hours total.. So good!!

I still smell like smoke. Shower? Nope!

I saved the juice from the foil, wrapped it again in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler. Total time smoking was 13 hours and about 2 hours in the cooler. My wife stayed up just to get her paws on it tonight then crashed. This is minus the slices she took before I could take pictures. I brushed some juice on the flat slices, covered these plates up and am ready for a full day of football and brisket tomorrow.

Like I said this was my first time smoking anything and until about a week ago I knew zip about how to do it. I have been reading here and this is my finished product. Thank you all for sharing your tips. Hope you enjoyed the pics. Probably a little dry but it tastes so good. What do you think?

Last edited:
It looks great to me, don't look dry from here. Nice thick smoke ring also.

Now, wasn't it a beautiful day to smoke something? It's always that way.

I make briskets just for sandwiches..... They are so good all week long. I bet I should try a brisket Poboy! Never thought of that before.....

Congrats man!

Remember to always enjoy the smoke. (And its good that your bride liked it too)

Dave do me a favor please. Enter your profile, The button is above on the tool bar, would ya please enter where you are located on this big rock so people will not continuously ask. Me, I have a terrible memory and with some discussions where you are matters. So if ya'd just take a moment between bites of your brisket sandwich I'd really appreciate it. Thank ye, Thank ye!

Last edited:
Reactions: downtown dave
Looks great for doing it your 1st time. I have a ECB and just got a Weber Grill from a friend yesterday.  I will be attempting a brisket on either of these units soon.

Brisket on the first smoke is brave. Came out great. Thumbs Up

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky