First smoke - Beef Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingScotsman

Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
file.jpeg file1.jpeg file2.jpeg file3.jpeg file4.jpeg file5.jpeg file6.jpeg Hello everyone,

I am a novice smoker from Scotland and have just completed my first smoke this weekend so wanted to send some pictures and see what people thought, and also ask some questions based on my first experience. I fell in love with BBQ on a recent trip to the Southern States of America, in particular Franklin's in Austin (other good BBQ is available).

I've always fancied trying it out for myself and after a recent house move which incorporates a good size garden, I got myself a Weber Smoker.

I chose beef ribs as my first smoke and got a 5 1/2 lbs set of short ribs from a local butcher and seasoned with some black pepper, salt, paprika, onion salt and garlic (see pictures). They were still on the bone but not as a rack.

It was my first time using my Weber Smokey Mountain (18inch) and it was quite challenging. I started off with some hot coals in my chimeny starter (4kgs of briquettes) - I think this is where I went wrong and should have had more coals for a longer cook?

I used majority oak wood and a little apple as well (see pictures) - Again I think I made a mistake by possibly putting the wood on a little early and probably too much of it? (see pictures).

I was aiming for a temp of around 300F (using my wireless thermometer in the middle of the smoker) and I did manage to make it there but the temp did quickly come down again (settling around 200F) and keeping it steady was very difficult. This was with all three bottom vents open as well as the top one open and I could only get the temp back up when opening the door and the fire re-igniting. Any tips? Again I think if I had a hotter/bigger coal bead the wood may have burned a bit easier?

The climate is a bit cooler in Scotland (around 60F) so this would have an impact on the heat as well I think. Any suggestions for smoking in a cooler climate?

All in all I had the ribs on for around 6 hours, and tested the internal temp. towards the end and they were around 280-290 so again, could have been a bit higher as I was aiming for around 303-310.

For a first smoke the ribs were really good so I am glad I got a positive outcome from it, The ribs were good, not fall off the bone but they were really juicy and full of flavour. Maybe a little chewy and this may be because I didn't get the internal temp. high enough.

Thanks for giving my post a read and would be great to here from some experienced folk out there with some hints and tips :)

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc2003
Mark You only need 3 to 5 pieces of wood in that smoker,you would need a lot more coal.You can always close the vents after the cook to stop the coal from burning.I treat beef ribs like a brisket for tenderness,also use a tooth pick to probe when I get close to 200°F. Here is a rack I did using my 18" kettle
Richie
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/beef-ribs-my-turn.259336/

I agree with Richie, way to much wood for a Weber. I would have only added two of those chunks. Next time fill you charcoal ring up with coals make a divot in the middle add a few(six to eight) ashed over coals in the divot and let the smoker come up to temp. Put your meat on and adjust the vents as needed. Ribs look real good.

Point for sure.

Chris.

Look up virtual weber bullet, it is a site that is just for the WSM and has a TON of great info and really helped me in getting started with my WSM. Like the others have said, thats why too much wood. I do the same thing as Chris suggsted, I fill my charcoal ring, make a divot in the middle and add about 10 lit briquettes and that will really help you maintain steady temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky