First shot at Bacon

Discussion in 'Curing' started by aeroforce100, May 3, 2013.

1. Well, finally got off my butt and found me a pork belly, fresh, no skin

Plan is to cut the belly in half,use Pop's Brine for about 10-14 days, cold smoke in the Smoke Vault 24, using Todd's AMAZN Pellet smoker for approx 12 hrs.  Thinking of using Maple over Hickory pellets, then slice on my 12" Globe slicer.

I was thinking about keeping this one simple and not use any additional flavorings, but I am open to suggestions.

I do have a question.  Has anyone noticed a difference between the use of bacon hangers opposed to laying the belly flat on the smoker racks?

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  2. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Hangers will allow any excess moisture to drip off the meat, rather than pool on top. And they look kinda cool, too. [​IMG]

3. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    I usually add some garlic to it...

Never have used the hangers and never had a problem...

4. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hangers look neat, but I never used them. They may swing around & get against each other, something easily avoided when laying them flat on the racks. You don't want your bacon pieces to be against each other.

Just my 2 Piasters.

Bear

5. mneeley490

No earthquakes here to swing my bacon.  [​IMG]

6. bearcarver

LOL, cute----None in PA either, but I'm sure they don't all just hang there perfectly straight in most small home smokers.

Many bacons I see hanging are touching each other.

Bear

7. I've used hangers for over 30 years and I've never had a problem with bacon touching. Of course it helps to smarter than the bacon and hangers. :smile:

~Martin

8. bearcarver

I never used hangers. That was just a thought, because I know I saw them in pics touching each other. Didn't think it called for a nasty reply.

Thanks,

Bear

9. Lighten up a little bit! It was tongue-in-cheek comment! Sheeeesh!!! :rolleyes:

~Martin

10. bearcarver

Had there been any sign of tongue & cheek, It wouldn't have bothered me.

An apology would fit better than "Sheeeesh"

11. I was talking about how I do things in the post, it wasn't about you.
    If it really bothered you, you wouldn't have directly quoted it, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

~Martin

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  12. bearcarver

Apology accepted.

Bear

13. mneeley490

Uh-hem.

Well, areoforce100, that is a very nice looking belly you have there. I think maple and hickory are a good choice. Can't wait to see the results!

aeroforce100 likes this.
  14. Once the curing is done, I will be sure to post the Q-vue of the smoke and slicing.  Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

15. i have done it with and without hangers. i like hangers. i'm a mule so i keep them from touching.

now that we are back on topic.

Happy smoken.

David

16. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You can tell it's spring when the "owly" bears crawl out from hibernating.....  [​IMG]  

Dave

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  17. Phase 2 has been completed.  Pork belly was brined in Pop's brine for 12 days.  let it hang overnight to dry. 

Phase 3 has just begun.  Hanging in the Smoke Vault.  Using Todds AMAZN pellet smoker with a mix of Hickory and Maple  pellets.

After smoking will chill for slicing.  More Pics to come.

18. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking great! I have yet to do side bacon and I am looking forward to your results. Thanks for posting.

19. DONE!!!!

One thing I would do differently is increase the salt.  I used 1/3 cup of Kosher salt.  next time, i might bump that up to 1/2 cup in the brine , due to the larger grains size of Kosher salt.  Would also do more than one belly at one time.  I don't think this batch of bacon is going to last too long. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  20. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

aeroforce, morning.....  If you have a scale, weigh everything.... water, sugar, salt and meat...   Base the salt, sugar etc. on total weight of the ingredients....  that way, you will have consistent results...  volume measurements aren't as accurate as weight measurements....   Dave

aeroforce100 likes this.