• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Ribs and Second Thighs

bamasmoker77

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 8, 2013
Decided to do my first ribs this weekend for the Bama/Tennessee Game. Plenty of Qview coming. Got the MES 30 set to 230. The temp out is around 35 degrees, so keeping the temp up is starting to worry me. They have been on for 30 minutes and the temp has yet to get back up to 230 after I preheated it. I am using the water pan.

I used Jeff's Rub on the ribs.

Also threw on some thighs that I did in the Scarbelly style. You can find the recipe in the chicken forum.

Well, wish me luck and more Qview to come. Roll Tide!!!

themule69

Epic Pitmaster
Joined Oct 7, 2012
It all looks good so far. The MES shoud not have a problem holing temp at 35° A lot of people replace the water with sand. It helps hold the heat as water will not get above 212° at sea leavel.

Keep the pics coming.

Happy smoken.

David

bamasmoker77

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 8, 2013

It all looks good so far. The MES shoud not have a problem holing temp at 35° A lot of people replace the water with sand. It helps hold the heat as water will not get above 212° at sea leavel.

Keep the pics coming.

Happy smoken.

David
Thanks for the tips. I need to get a bag of sand and fill the bowl. Have also thought of doing the bricks that I have heard others say works well for them. More pics to come. It is up to the right temp now. I know I will lose some when I take the thighs out after two hours. 

themule69

Epic Pitmaster
Joined Oct 7, 2012

Thanks for the tips. I need to get a bag of sand and fill the bowl. Have also thought of doing the bricks that I have heard others say works well for them. More pics to come. It is up to the right temp now. I know I will lose some when I take the thighs out after two hours.
Yea bricks work good as well. Glad your up to temp.

David

bamasmoker77

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 8, 2013

themule69

Epic Pitmaster
Joined Oct 7, 2012
The thighs look GREAT! The ribs are starting to take on some good color.

Happy smoken.

David

dewetha

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 21, 2011
nice looking grub! the chicken looks really great. i want to cook some now! :)

bamasmoker77

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 8, 2013
Phase two is done. Just got them sauced up for Phase three! So close to eating them. The wife thought they were good enough to be done without sauce. I have to admit, the second stage juice I made really came through in the meat. I definitely could have done them without sauce, but I love cattleman's honey barbecue sauce. Here is a little look

dewetha

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 21, 2011
the old sauce-no sauce debate!  those are looking tasty. i have ribs going on tomorrow!

the last ribs i made i did half a rack no sauce, one rack sauce. i am warming up to the no sauce, especially after my last rib test run(1/2 racj rub only, 1/2 rack rub/sauce).

Last edited:

bamasmoker77

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 8, 2013

the old sauce-no sauce debate!  those are looking tasty. i have ribs going on tomorrow!

the last ribs i made i did half a rack no sauce, one rack sauce. i am warming up to the no sauce, especially after my last rib test run(1/2 racj rub only, 1/2 rack rub/sauce).
I think next time I may do half without the sauce. They had a really good taste without it. 

pgsmoker64

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 23, 2010
Nicely done 77!  Ribs and thighs both look great.

For really good bite through skin on your thighs, cook at about 275 - 290 until an IT of 165.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill

bamasmoker77

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 8, 2013

Nicely done 77!  Ribs and thighs both look great.

For really good bite through skin on your thighs, cook at about 275 - 290 until an IT of 165.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill
Thanks Bill! Normally I do my thighs at 275. The highest my smoker will go. I am still new to smoking figured I would give it a try at the other temp since I was firing it up for ribs. I prefer the higher temp for the skin as well.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.