First Pulled Pork Butt this Sunday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greenersport

Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Hi All,

At the request of my 13 year old (he turns 13 tomorrow) I am going to smoke my first Pork Butt.

I have tried to read and go through everyone's threads related to Pulled Pork and Pork Butt smokes, given that I am trying my first one Sunday can someone confirm the overall best practice?  Here is a rough attempt;

1. 8-10 lb Pork Butt (bone or no bone)

2. Apply some Yellow mustard and dry rub of choice.

3. Cook time varies......seems popular time is 1-1.5 hours per lb.

4. Spray\Mop some something every couple hours (Apple juice from a spray bottle or ??????)

5. Once Meat temp is 180 pull it out and wrap in Foil til ??

6. Take out and let sit for 15-20 mins and shred.

Again, this is rough process.  Other things I have seen;

- Inject before hand with homemade stuff

- dry rub\prep night before and let sit overnight

I have an MES30 electric smoker (with the digital display on top in back).

Thank you everyone!!

Jeff

Hi All,

At the request of my 13 year old (he turns 13 tomorrow) I am going to smoke my first Pork Butt.

I have tried to read and go through everyone's threads related to Pulled Pork and Pork Butt smokes, given that I am trying my first one Sunday can someone confirm the overall best practice?  Here is a rough attempt;

1. 8-10 lb Pork Butt (bone or no bone)  Bone in.

2. Apply some Yellow mustard and dry rub of choice. Yes

3. Cook time varies......seems popular time is 1-1.5 hours per lb. Figure about 2 hours per lb. to be safe. If done early it will stay hot in a 170 degree oven until ready to pull.

4. Spray\Mop some something every couple hours (Apple juice from a spray bottle or ??????) Some do some don't, I mop with apple juice/BBQ sauce mix every couple of hours.

5. Once Meat temp is 180 pull it out and wrap in Foil til ?? I don't foil, just take it to 205 IT or until probe tender. If you do foil, foil at 165-170.

6. Take out and let sit for 15-20 mins and shred.  I like to rest it for at least 1/2 hour.

Again, this is rough process.  Other things I have seen;

- Inject before hand with homemade stuff No need to inject, they are plenty juicy without any injection.

- dry rub\prep night before and let sit overnight Yes that is a good idea, rub & refrigerate overnight wrapped in plastic wrap.

I hope you have a good thermometer, because the factory therm & controller on the MES are usually very inaccurate.

I have an MES30 electric smoker (with the digital display on top in back).

Thank you everyone!!

Jeff
Hope this helps!

Al

Last edited:
I don't pull mine off until internal temp is 205. I also have an MES 30 and set it at 275. Have had great success with this method and I haven't had any bad stalls either. I also double wrap in aluminum foil then wrap in a towel and throw it in an empty cooler for a minimum of 2 hours to rest. I like to let it rest for about 4 hours though if I can. Even after 4 hours it's still plenty warm and just falls apart.

And I also don't foil at all during the cook. I love a good bark so I just set it in there and don't open the door until it's 205 internal temp. Works beautifully.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky