First PP (picked that lingo up off this site )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nicerack00

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
I've got a 4.5 lb pork shoulder that I'm going to smoke tomorrow. I'm planning on throwing the rub on tonight but I can't decide whether to trim some of the fat or not??? Other recipe sites say to do so, but I figured I'd ask the pros!

I would not trim the fat. I would, however, score the fat cap with a knife before putting your rub on. This allows the rub to get a little bit deeper into the meat. I would score it about 3/4 of an inch deep in a diamond pattern or cross hatch style.

I like to trim the fat off & put it on a rack above the shoulder. It will render & drip on the shoulder & baste it.

I also smoke my shoulders in a pan sitting in their own juices.

If you don't trim the fat off, all the bark will be fat & you will have to trim it off after smoking, unless you like to eat the fat.

Al

Damn. Wish I would have thought of that before I tossed it! Next time. I tried scoring it and leaving it all on but there was just too much! All the bark would have been wasted like you said.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky