First post... Mixed smokehouse day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingpreacher

Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
Mont Belvieu, Texas
I had about 150 pounds of venison/pork sausage to make and hang so I thought...why waste space and smoke in the smokehouse? So I hung the sausage in the upper two racks and dried it at about 90 degrees for 45 min or so. Then I added a half of a wild 60 pound pig and for good measure I hung a couple of slabs of bacon that was done curing and ready to smoke.

I added the smoke and then started bumping the temp up. Got to 135 for an hour or hour and a half, and then started raising temp to about 165. After about 3 and half hours, the sausage IT was 153 and the bacon was there as well. So I pulled the sausage and bacon and gave it a shower and let it bloom. While that was happening I increased the smokehouse temp to about 240 and brought the pig up to about 195 IT and then pulled it out too. 

I got to munch on some good tender pork while wrapping and getting the sausage ready for the freezer. GOOD day at the smokehouse!

That is a lot of mighty fine looking sausage!      How big is your smokehouse and what do you heat with?      I would sure like to see some pictures of your smokehouse from a view where you can see the whole smokehouse.

Last edited:
The smokehouse is 8 feet tall and 4 feet by 4 feet...

I basically used some scrap stuff I had to build it. I used 2 x 4's for studs and put them far enough apart to stack 4 inch thick cinder blocks in between to serve as insulation. I use a propane burner inside for a heat source with regulator outside. With that and because of the cinder block, it will hold heat and maintain temp really well. I made a smoke generator that uses sawdust and it is outside the house, too with a hole into the house for the 3/4 inch pipe that smoke goes through.

Please tell me you have something more than a 5lb stuffer, aND a meat mixer.

I'd like to know what kind of equipment you have. I can't imagine making 150 lbs of sausage at one time.

It all looks great though

Well...I wish i could tell you that...BUT, we ground, and mixed 250 pounds. 100 pounds of that went into pan sausage. Then we stuffed 150 with...YES...a 5 lb. stuffer. But that will change soon! Luckily, I have some good friends who enjoy the fun and help with it and in return, of course, they get some sausage! This is my 4th smoke in the last couple months and I think about 400 pounds total sausage. It's loads of work, but also good for friends to enjoy together. Several guys ask to bring their meat and we do it together and I smoke it and I usually get a few pounds just to taste. 

Well...I wish i could tell you that...BUT, we ground, and mixed 250 pounds. 100 pounds of that went into pan sausage. Then we stuffed 150 with...YES...a 5 lb. stuffer. But that will change soon! Luckily, I have some good friends who enjoy the fun and help with it and in return, of course, they get some sausage! This is my 4th smoke in the last couple months and I think about 400 pounds total sausage. It's loads of work, but also good for friends to enjoy together. Several guys ask to bring their meat and we do it together and I smoke it and I usually get a few pounds just to taste. 

Eyeyeeeee. How long does that take? You guys did a good job of hiding the beer cans in these pictures. A batch that big would require more than a couple blue cans to finish.

There were a couple beers involved, BUT they both went in the pot to cook some bratwurst we had made! ha Gotta have something to eat while you work!

The cutting, mixing, grinding and stuffing took about 6 or 7 hours.

I loaded it all in the smokehouse the next morning and that was about 5 or 6 hours that day.

Last edited:
Very nice. I hope you have a large grinder with that amount of meat. This may be your first part, but your definitely no newbie. Not with a smoker like that.

Looks like a great time to me.  But wow, loading the stuffer 30 times !  Do you have an issue keeping all that meat cold while you process it ?

I have to admit that looks great. What is the chance of you posting some pics of your smoke house? I am cruising the forum for ideas, I found this site because of this and have been hooked since. Point for the great looking sausage pics. Way to go.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky