• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Post, First Chuckie Request

ljweagle08

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Hello all, I have been reading the forums for a few weeks but this is my first post. I'm doing my first attempt on a 3# chuckie this Thursday. Since I'm rather new on the topic I was wondering if I could get a few basic tips from you guys. Marinade/Rub basics, smoke temp ect. Thank you for any information and input in advance.

ljweagle08

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Thank you for the advice, I actually found a thread where you posted to use a drip pan with broth. I'm and going to try this, a dipping sauce from the drippings sound amazing.

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Not sure which thread you saw but I also use Johnnies Au Jus concentrate after I defat the broth to add a little more depth.  Good luck with your smoke and don't forget the qview

ellymae

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 21, 2009
I usually rub chuckies with Plowboys Boine Bold or Simply Marvelous Cherry. Sometimes I make my own rub.

Throw it on the cooker @ 230* till the temp reaches 200ish AND the chuckie is probe tender. Then I foil it, wrap it in a towel and put it in a dry cooler to rest for at least an hour.

After that the sky is the limit -

pulled beef sandwiches

chuckie tacos

Have fun!!

fpnmf

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 19, 2010
Welcome!!

Craig

Thanks for the delicious pics Ellymae!

ljweagle08

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Thank you for the welcomes and great pictures and advice. Everyone looks delicious.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Good luck, LJ. Don't forget the Q-view!

ljweagle08

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Well guys, the results are in and I am pleased overall for my first time.

Shredded it and turned it into....

Thanks for looking... and all the help. I did notice it was incredibly hard to keep my smoker (Chargriller Smokin Pro) up to 225 degrees. I have done some sealing to the SFB. Maybe I am just underestimating the amount of coal (lump) I need to use... Any thoughts?

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Whoah!!!

I could eat a couple of those sammies---real easily!!!

Bear

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Oh yea! Looks delicious!!

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.