First Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrod

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, I have a 7lbs pork shoulder I'm getting started with today. My first question is should I lay it on the rack fat side up or down?

Last edited:
Good luck on your first shoulder smoke.  It makes no difference whether the fat is up or down.  Just a personal preference.

Well the meat has good marbling so I decided to do fat side down. This is probably going to be a long cook so I figured that by putting the fat side down the outside of the meat on the bottom won't get more done than the rest. I dunno.. lol
icon_redface.gif

This will be the longest cook I've done and my second overall smoke on my Brinkman. First smoke was a 3.5lbs Tri Tip, now moving up to a 7lbs shoulder. Hope it goes well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky