First pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
Mrs. Smoke loves pulled pork. The butcher shop was able to cut a nice 3.5 pound piece for me to try out.

The night before I made some sauce based on Jeff’s recipe. I add a quarter cup of bourbon and love it. It tastes best if made the night before and allow the flavors to meld.

EF424AFE-C9A4-48BB-A0AA-911A0C102492.jpeg

I did a hybrid smoker/oven approach based on a recipe from Jeff. I seasoned it and let it set overnight. I set the smoker to 225, loaded it with hickory the next morning, and let it run for five hours.

2C142CFB-3B83-4ACB-B1C4-5BA4C77C2FD9.jpeg

After five hours it had a nice bark on it so I pulled it, put it in a foil pan, poured some bourbon in the pan and covered it with foil. I then moved it to the oven at 325 for another three hours. I pulled it with an IT of 208, wrapped it in foil, then in a towel, and into a cooler for two more hours. The drippings from the tray went into a jar for later use.

932178DA-C2D9-4B2E-ABCC-B40B6FBC9A88.jpeg

It came out great! It is moist, has the right amount of smoke, and the steam from the bourbon left a nice flavor. It pulled really easy and tastes great! Mrs. Smoke is very happy!

We made sandwiches tonight with jalapeños and coleslaw on toasted buns. Added a little sauce to the meat and served. Really, really good.

I’m thinking that the best way to freeze the leftovers is without sauce. And then add fresh sauce after thawing.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I’m thinking that the best way to freeze the leftovers is without sauce. And then add fresh sauce after thawing.
yes that is a very good plan. I usually make 2 butts at a time. the start to finished product weight is significant - sometimes yielding about 50-60% of the initial raw butt weight. theres just two of us here, but I grab the two pack from Costco at about 16-18 LB smokem, then vac seal and freeze in 1LB packs. works great. PP is great for tacos, mac and cheese - you name it!

Reactions: OldSmoke
If I still lived in Seattle we may have a problem?
We made sandwiches tonight with jalapeños and coleslaw on toasted buns. Added a little sauce to the meat and served. Really, really good.

I don't "sauce" my leftovers for freezing. I share most of my product and the locals are not up to my 'sauce" level.
I do collect fat and meat drippings to add in the bag for vac packing.

If I still lived in Seattle we may have a problem?

Nah, we’d just get together for dinner. I’ve missed going to Jack’s this year!

E99EE4FC-1115-4E1E-9B46-02D841BEE31A.jpeg

I‘ve been sharing a lot of what I make so I can learn and make more. People are asking for more so I must be getting better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky