First Pork Butt ?s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like it's moving along. Ask the connective tissue is rendering out during your stall. This is why low and slow can make cuts like shoulder so tender. Keep smokin!

Here is the bean recipe I used, was so good:

These beans were so good, a hit among the whole crew I had here.

I put the beans in for the last 2 hours of cooking,

then another hour at the end by themselves after taking out the butts.

After that I turned the MES off but left the

beans in to stay hot until I was ready to serve.

So I had 14 people and had plenty of bean with leftovers with these amounts.

3 large cans (28oz) of Bush’s original baked beans

Olive oil

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
3 tbsp garlic, minced
3 slices of maple bacon, cut in one inch sections
1/2 cup apple pie filling, rough chopped

Saute the garlic:

Throw in a little olive oil and garlic into a pot and get the garlic sweating over medium heat.

Add in the brown sugar and a little more olive oil, the sugar just soaked it up.

Chop up the apple pie stuffing into smaller chunks. Then add the chunks and cook them down a bit.

After the garlic, brown sugar and apple simmers for a few minutes, add the mustard and mix thoroughly.

I used a disposable foil tray, but used 2 of them to help support the beans. 

Drain about the first 1/4 of bean sauce off the top of the cans of beans. 

Pour the beans into the foil pan and add the mix and stir.  S and P  to taste. Bout 1/2 Tbs each.

Cut the bacon into 1" squares and place on the top of the beans,

leave little space between each piece of bacon so they don't insulate each other and cook through.

I placed my pan under the butts during the last 2-3 hours of cooking time. No less than 2 hours, the beans need to cook down some, 3 or so hours can't hurt.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Sorry, the word 'ask' should be 'all'.  When you take tougher cut of meat and cook it slowly, the meat fibers don't cook before the connective tissues have had a chance to 'melt' away.  With the connective tissues rendered out it is much more tender.  If you were cook your butt rapidly, it wouldn't be tender, but by cooking slowly you get the delicious pullable butt.

I really enjoyed reading this thread Harleybike.  Very cool to see your first smoke turn out so well.  I may have missed it, but what is/was the finishing sauce that you were talking about? 

Thanks vwaldo, I was very proud and thanks to all the help from the guys on here.

The 3rd post, from Jimmy J has the finishing sauce recipe. It's under foil/finishing sauce. I uses his rub recipe also.

icon14.gif

Gary

congratulation_graphics_2.gif
 Very nice! The Bark looks great and I am glad all enjoyed the flavors of the Sweet Finishing Sauce and Rub. The use of Apple Pie Filling in the Beans sounds really good, never saw that before.

For the fastest cooking, the smoker temp has to stay at least 20°F above the finished IT you desire for the IT to be achieved in a reasonable amount of time.. So 225°F smoker to get an IT of 200-205°F, typical for Pulled Pork. If the smoker is the same temp as the desired IT, you will get there but it will take several hours. In this case you set the smoker to 170° with the IT of the pork at 192°F. That IT would have never climbed any higher. Your saving grace was, at any smoker temp over 160°F, the Collagen in the Connective Tissue will continue to breakdown and the meat will get more and more tender. You achieved the tenderness you wanted but it just as easily could have taken many more hours to get there. 

Just a word of Caution...Heating the Beans with raw Bacon at 170°F can be risky. While 170°F is above the Danger Zone, the beans or any item you add, has the potential to spend too much time, over 4 hours, getting above 140°F killing any dangerous Bacteria. USDA and SMF standards dictate that the safest minimum temp to smoke at is 225°F. If you are new to smoking, take the FREE 5-day Smoking Ecourse, you can sign up on the main page. The info is of great value...GREAT JOB!...JJ

BTW...If you think the Bark is getting too dark, a loose tenting with a sheet of Foil will allow smoke to get to the meat but reflect some heat that darkens the bark. The other option is to switch to Turbinado Sugar (Sugar in the Raw) in the Rub. Turbinado does not darken as easily as Brown Sugar but still has all the great flavor.

Last edited:

Olive oil

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
3 tbsp garlic, minced

Saute the garlic:

Throw in a little olive oil and garlic into a pot and get the garlic sweating over medium heat.

Add in the brown sugar and a little more olive oil, the sugar just soaked it up.

Chop up the apple pie stuffing into smaller chunks. Then add the chunks and cook them down a bit.

After the garlic, brown sugar and apple simmers for a few minutes, add the mustard and mix thoroughly.

Pour the beans into the foil pan and add the mix and stir.  S and P  to taste. Bout 1/2 Tbs each.

leave little space between each piece of bacon so they don't insulate each other and cook through.

I placed my pan under the butts during the last 2-3 hours of cooking time. No less than 2 hours, the beans need to cook down some, 3 or so hours can't hurt.

Enjoy!!!
I do something similar for my smoked bbq beans... but instead of adding sweetness, I add heat.
Ingredients
1 Gallon of Bush's Baked Beans
1 lb. of Bacon
6 - 8 Jalapeno Peppers
I large Sweet Onion

The bacon is chopped/cooked/DRAINED then the peppers and onions are thrown in.
Once sauteed for a bit, I add the beans, then throw it into a tray and into the smoker.

Adapted from this recipe:
http://www.kickassbbq.com/smoked_baked_beans.html

I tried it his way the first time but it was just too sweet for me so I omit the sugar.
The last time I made this I did sprinkle some brown sugar on top.

I usually smoke it from 1 to 2 hours just to get a nice hint of smoke.
But to each his own!

I may have to give your recipe a try though.  ;)

Last edited:
Yes I did JJ, and thank you. :yahoo:

Waldo, they loved the food, all of them and all of the food. They were very impressed with the the PP. Said it was better than their favorite restaurant. Yee Ha.
I just had left overs last night for dinner, still yummy.

JJ, man I'm sorry that you wrote all that about the temp, I was wondering what you were talking about and went back and read my post. That was a typo, It meant to read **270** not 170. :hit:

The bark was NOT at all to dark, it was the best part and would have loved to have more after mixing it all in. I was cheating and eating some of the bark as I was pulling, the bark it so tasty. I did use Turbinado sugar your recipe in your first post. Thank you.

So now I have been (Told) that I am doing 4th of July Q...that PP was the first ever family Q I have hosted, let alone with a smoker and that kind of yummy food. Now what did I get myself into?

I am going to tackle a Beef Brisket, for the 4th, but that is for another thread and much, much searching and reading as I understand those can be a bit difficult.

Last edited:
Bullitz,

I like flavor of heat (jalapeno) but not the heat.. The beans I made had just a hint of sweet, which I like, but not too sweet. Since there is already brown sugar in the Bush's you could leave that out to cut back on sweet.

I only left the beans in the smoke for 1-2 hours and an hour with no smoke, then the rest of the time while staying hot was with no smoke and heat turned off. I loved em.

Olive oil

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
3 tbsp garlic, minced

Saute the garlic:

Enjoy!!!
when I saw bush's baked beans I immediately looked at your location.... of course, Michigan! I'm a HUGE bush's fan myself. usually I don't even bother doctoring them up.... but it doesn't hurt. their grilling beans are fantastic in most flavors.

when I saw bush's baked beans I immediately looked at your location.... of course, Michigan! I'm a HUGE bush's fan myself. usually I don't even bother doctoring them up.... but it doesn't hurt. their grilling beans are fantastic in most flavors.
Haha, Fo sho...

I can eat em right outta the can, love em...but wanted to spruce em up a but change things up. They were really good.

No problem Harley. I thought your choice of 170 was unusual since you put so much research into making it right. In any event I don't mind teaching how to be safe, you never know who's reading these...JJ

Question from a Newby in NC:
How long before putting in smoker do I apply rub? Do I rub and immediately smoke or rub and refrigerate overnight?
I'm using an MES. :drool

Totally your preference ,  I put mine on right before it goes on the smoker

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky