First Pork Butt Pulled OMG!! Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great butt, thanks for sharing, hey how about showing off that smoker with some more pics.
icon_smile.gif
Her ya go SQWIB

I built a 36" x 24" x 48" box, insulated it, built the insulated doe then built a base for it to atache to. I lined the lower half with corrugated steel just for extra protection. At 350º you can barely feel a little warmth on the outside of the smoker.

7d4db313_Smoker3.jpg
04b48803_Smoker1.jpg

I used a Camp Chef Stove with (2) 25,000 BTU burners
5992732a_Smoker4.jpg

Tbakko,

Great job on the inexpensive, super functional smoker !

Any chance of drilling a small hole in the side for your thermo wire?

You can always plug it with a little piece of putty, with or without the wire in it.

If it's a pain getting it through two walls, you can drill the hole big enough to epoxy a piece of PVC pipe through the unit.

Then you can use that for a way in & out, and keep a little ball of putty there for plugging.

I say this, because I would worry about the wire being in that wood to wood door.

Nice Job !

Bear

Tbakko,

You can always plug it with a little piece of putty, with or without the wire in it.

If it's a pain getting it through two walls, you can drill the hole big enough to epoxy a piece of PVC pipe through the unit.

Then you can use that for a way in & out, and keep a little ball of putty there for plugging.

I say this, because I would worry about the wire being in that wood to wood door.

Nice Job !

Bear
You are right on with the probe access Bear, I had the same thoughts. What i was thinking of is cutting a larger hole to get the probe through & making 2 removable patches just in case I need to replace or add another probe. I also ordered a 5" dial thermometer today to mount in the side for monitoring box temps.

Tbakko,

Nice Job !

Bear
You are right on with the probe access Bear, I had the same thoughts. What i was thinking of is cutting a larger hole to get the probe through & making 2 removable patches just in case I need to replace or add another probe. I also ordered a 5" dial thermometer today to mount in the side for monitoring box temps.
Sure, anything like that.

I meant like a piece of PVC big enough for the plug that fits into your digital unit to fit through, instead of the probe end, because of the bend in the meat probe and the thickness of your insulated wall. Then any kind of putty (plumbers putty, silly putty, etc) that won't dry out & get hard, can plug the hole.

But your way would be fine too.

They also make those things they use for computer wires going through cabinets & desks. It's like a grommet with a slot for a wire, but they would probably leak. They weren't meant to keep heat or smoke from leaking through.

Bear

GREAT BUILD, Thanks ...I needed a FIX

And to touch on what bear said, something like this butt rubber.

cb2eee00_thumb_3064_P15641a-100.jpg

You could probably get away with using a thin rubber or gasket material slitted as in the above picture, this way it would seal up around itself when inserted and when the probe is removed.

We will call it the "Sphincter Grommet", sorry couldn't resist.
icon_eek.gif

Re: wood door to wood frame, if you were so inclined you could install a gasket for a wood stove around the door.  I'm pretty sure they come as a kit with the temp resistant glue.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky