First PID smoke - quick and (OMG) easy Tri-Tip. I'm hooked on PID

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danabw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 29, 2020
Had my first smoke using the Auber WSD-1500H-W Wi-Fi PID, with my MES30.

It wasn't a big deal smoke, only about an hour for the Tri-Tip, but OMG the way the PID manages the smoker is amazing. Straight climb to set temp and held it there for the entire smoke. No overshoots, no undershoots, no odd swings, etc. My MES, even w/new control panel and element, was about as inconsistent as it could have been, was unable to accurately measure it's own IT (seemed to range to up to 10 degrees off), and required constant attention. With the Auber PID it just worked, such a pleasure.

I am really looking forward to my next longer smoke, not having to babysit and check/adjust temps continuously. Thank you to everyone who kept pushing the PID. You were right, and I owe you a beer.

My son starting to put a sear on it after it left the smoker at 131.
20200809_180620.jpg

Sliced up nicely (now that I know how to slice it). :)
20200809_182945.jpg

That looks excellent! I switched to the Auber PID a little over a year ago, and it has made a huge difference in my cooks. Wait until you do a long cook, it's exceptional.

Reactions: Danabw
Looks great! You will love your pid. I have beer in the fridge...I'll take some tri tip please!

Ryan

Reactions: Danabw
Looks fantastic. It sure is nice to set it and walk away not worrying.
Wait till you do sausages where you gradually ramp up the temp and the PID just does it for you.
Have not done this trick yet, have just changed manually. May have to figure out how to set this up.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I am going to try to put up a general review of the WSD-1500H-W at some point in the future, including interacting w/it via the mobile app, which is both really nice and sometimes (at this early point) a little confusing or frustrating. :)

E.g., there were a few times when I could not get the probe temperature plot to update, kept getting a "Refresh failed, please try again" message, and after trying for a while it would finally update. My wi-fi network is exceptionally strong and the PID sits only <20' and one wall from my access point, so it appears to be an issue w/the PID sometimes just not being able to complete the update. That was the only technical glitch during the smoke.

Braz Braz - one of the reasons I was interested in this was at some point trying to make some sausages. I have to admit I'm still a little intimated by that. :) We love spicy italian sausage, and I'd love to be able to make our own homemade version.

That looks excellent! I switched to the Auber PID a little over a year ago, and it has made a huge difference in my cooks. Wait until you do a long cook, it's exceptional.
Mike - this!! ^^^

I can see now how the PID and AMNPS combo is going to make my longer smokes a completely different and highly improved experience. I can even head out to the store during a long smoke and monitor temps/progress while I'm away. :D

Reactions: MJB05615
I just bought an auber controller for my uds. I can't get controller to connect with my phone. Disappointing!

I just bought an auber controller for my uds. I can't get controller to connect with my phone. Disappointing!
Assume you got the Wi-Fi version? WSD-1500H-W?
1597079295401.png

If so, were you able to connect the PID to your Wi-Fi network (When it's connected the Wi-Fi light goes solid blue on the PID display, bottom left).
1597079408862.png

Or is it connected to your Wi-Fi and you don't see it or can't connect to it in the app?
1597079489434.png

That's awsome.
I did a Tri Tip yesterday as well with my new PID, same model.
Easy peasy. And held temp very well. I've yet to dive into the different settings and charts, bells and whistles. I'll be a bit challenged with that stuff. All in good time.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200809_162842.jpg
    20200809_162842.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200809_173143.jpg
    20200809_173143.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200809_174245.jpg
    20200809_174245.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 7
Looks perfect, hooked on smoke hooked on smoke !

I have to work on my pull temp, I let mine go just a little too long this time, didn't get it out until 131. Yours looks how I want mine to look. What temp did you smoke at, and what temp when you pulled it?

I think we're going to have fun w/this PID. :)

I have the SYL-2616 model. I only get a slow blinking light.
Have you looked at/tried any of the suggestions in the online docs that Auber has? I didn't find your exact model, but for the 2615 there are help docs available w/sections on Wi-Fi.

Secondary manual here that is focused on getting Wi-Fi connected...

Where do you get stuck in the process when you try to connect your PID.

Last edited:
Looks perfect, hooked on smoke hooked on smoke !

I have to work on my pull temp, I let mine go just a little too long this time, didn't get it out until 131. Yours looks how I want mine to look. What temp did you smoke at, and what temp when you pulled it?

I think we're going to have fun w/this PID. :)

Have you looked at/tried any of the suggestions in the online docs that Auber has? I didn't find your exact model, but for the 2615 there are help docs available w/sections on Wi-Fi.

Secondary manual here that is focused on getting Wi-Fi connected...

Where do you get stuck in the process when you try to connect your PID.

Danabw,
Your tri tip looks like nothing to shake a stick at.
I set the Pid to run the smoker at 232. Why? Why not? Trial and error. I used one of my other thermometers to check the meat temp. I pulled it at 138. Then just for fun, wrapped it in foil and a towel and let it rest for 30 minutes while I caught up on the side dishes.

I agree,
I think we're going to have fun w/this PID. :

Danabw,
Your tri tip looks like nothing to shake a stick at.
I set the Pid to run the smoker at 232. Why? Why not? Trial and error. I used one of my other thermometers to check the meat temp. I pulled it at 138. Then just for fun, wrapped it in foil and a towel and let it rest for 30 minutes while I caught up on the side dishes.

I agree,
I think we're going to have fun w/this PID. :
So you admit you painted your Tri-Tip to make it look better than mine. I'm glad we got that out into the open. ;-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky