• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First official smoke

ricer2231

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 17, 2016
I am smoking meat for the very first time his evening!:yahoo::yahoo: It isn't anything major, just some johnsonville brats but I can't wait to try them. [ATTACHMENT=2999]IMG_0309.JPG (1,485k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
I will post some more pics later. I am also verifying my temp readings with an oven thermometer inside and going to double check my probe with a meat thermometer. Cooking st 190 for an hour or until I get to 165 IT.

gearjammer

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 6, 2015
Well, you've got to start somewhere.

That's as good a place as any.

Waiting to hear and see how you make out.

Hope you're having fun.

Ed

ricer2231

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 17, 2016
All went well with the exception of not allowing enough time to smoke to 165 IT. After an hour at 200 the brats topped out at 145 so I had to resort to finishing them on the stove. I would have tossed them on the grill but it was pouring rain and the rest of supper was ready. I'm guessing that I need to jump up to 225 and shoot for an hour and a half cooking time. Live and learn. The smoke flavor was amazing though and they are so much better than grilled. :sausage:

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 31, 2014
I love brats around the vortex they cook fast and get good flavor with wood in and above the vortex. If you have a charcoal grill check vortex at Owens BBQ.

gearjammer

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 6, 2015
Hey Ricer, that's been the hardest thing

for me to learn, timing.

Smoking is, for the most part a slow process

and it does take time to get it right.

Now B-one offers great advice, but since it 

was pouring outside.

Well there ain't no shame in getting yourself inside.

Did it taste good and did you have fun?

'Cause that's all that matters.

Ed

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Glad to hear the brats turned out good.

Next time at 225 they should be better.

Al

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.