First MES---LEM Shooter jerky----Need help/advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ndwildbill

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Fargo, ND
Making jerky for first time on MES 30 today, with new LEM shooter, and mix that came with shooter.  Mixed per directions with 5# 80-20 ground beef.  Let sit in fridge overnight.  Shot it onto q-mats this morning, into the MES with oak pellets in the A-maz-en smoker.  Temp at 225.  Now, its about 3 and a half hours later, and temp bumped up to 250, and I decide to look at smoking meat forum to make sure I am doing things correctly....Hmmm...looks like I have done a few things in reverse....First, should have looked at the forum last night, or much earlier today, second, should have started out a low temp, gradually bumped up so the meat would dry out first.  As an experiment, I used part of the seasoned, cured meat to make a tray of uncased "meat sticks"...they now have an IT of 170.  Ok, now that the meat is cooked, looking very wet and greasy, any suggestions for rescue?  After reading here, I did run the temp down to 150.  Other than being greasy, with the fat rendered out, it does taste good.  Anything else anyone can think of that might help dry some of the grease out of things????

Yep to high temp. You can cook them in ice water and wipe the grease off. Other than that you can't do much else. They probably will still taste okay.

Thanks Dirtsailor. Did exactly as suggested, pull them out of the smoke into ice water to pull out some of the grease, then wiped them off.  Turned out pretty good, good flavor, good smoke.  Ok, next time I'll remember to take pics for a qview!!

NWB, eat then quickly as they will get drier and drier !
icon_biggrin.gif

When I use my Nesco dehydrator to make ground beef jerky, I dehydrate at about 160° for 6 to 8 hours.  Then, will proof for 10 minutes in a 275 oven at the end to make sure it is safe.  I will occasionally pat the fat off of the jerky with a paper towel during the process.  I'm actually going to smoke some jerky next week I think. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky