First grilled Tri-tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
First - dry brined overnight (lightly salted per Dr. orders).

Then marinated 4-hours in olive oil, minced garlic, black pepper, thyme and a splash of Kimlan soy sauce.
IMG_1261.JPG

Then grilled over oak coals.
IMG_1266.JPG

I think it came out perfect - I sliced it thin and made a sandwich and it was the closest thing I've had to an Italian-deli in-house roast beef sandwich since I left home in 1987.

I guess I will be eating Tri-tip sandwiches for the next week! :emoji_sunglasses:

Awesome.

Last edited:
This is the third Tri-tip I ever cooked and the first one I grilled. The top was a little crispy but was easy to shave off. Darned fine tasting piece of beef! :emoji_thumbsup:

I think that next time I am going to grill it nice on the outside, then pop it in the oven to finish it off. I don't know why I didn't think of that today - old age I guess!

Reactions: Steve H
I think that next time I am going to grill it nice on the outside, then pop it in the oven to finish it off. I don't know why I didn't think of that today - old age I guess!

I think I prefer grilled TT over smoked. And that little bit of char on top looks great to me. But no need to use the oven if you set up your grill for 2-zone cooking.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looks great! I just had tri tip for the first time about a month ago. I grilled it on the Weber and it was fantastic. Can't wait to give it another go as it is a delicious cut of meat

My community manager invited me to his place yesterday for my Tri-tip! He, his son and I had awesome sandwiches and it is all gone now! 😧

Next time I am keeping my trap shut! :emoji_laughing:

That looks great!!
I've only done one Tri-Tip. Had to special order it at a meat shop. $$$
They don't carry them in stores here, except for the occasional "pre-seasoned" small packaged ones.
Most people here don't know what they are.
I smoked mine but if I ever get another one I'll grill it because yours looks so good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky